General Problems

nick

General Problems

Post by nick » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:01 pm

Given there will very soon be absolutely nothing for us to bet on, it may be prudent not to leave balances with on-line firms. I can foresee problems with withdrawal requests, if not already, then in the very near future.

It may not seem very public-spirited to withdraw funds at this time, but it's conceivable that when the coronavirus crisis has eventually receded there may hardly be any bookies remaining! I do not feel sufficiently charitable towards our bookmakers in the light of all their restrictions to punters over recent years.

harry_rag

Re: General Problems

Post by harry_rag » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:40 pm

Been doing a bit of this today, though been leaving around £50 in most places so far. Are you going to zero Nick?

Article here details which firms offer high, medium and no protection to customer funds. Betfred for one offer no protection by segregating customer funds so if they go bump then get to the back of the queue of creditors. I did once lose funds with a firm called Bowmans if anyone remembers them (pre internet days). They flourished briefly by regularly offering top price in the RP price tables but went belly up and took punters’ dosh with them.

nick

Post by nick » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:56 pm

Yep, zero, Harry. I've even cleared my Sporting Index balance twice over the last 3 days.

I remember losing a few quid when Sporting Options (I think that was the name) went tits up and also a small amount when a dedicated golfing bookie went under (can't recall the name). I have never kept any serious balances floating (except with Betfair when I started gambling as a job about 14 years ago, but I stopped that too especially when Paddys took over the reins).

I do have sympathy for the traders, but I have been so hacked off with the attitude of firms like Hills, Betfred, Victor, Ladbrokes, Boyles, Sean Graham, Paddy Power, Sportingbet etc over recent years that I have no compunction whatsoever in thinking purely selfishly.

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:04 pm

Yeah, makes perfect sense in this climate Nick. :thumbs

harry_rag

Post by harry_rag » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:09 pm

Here’s the article by the way! :>

harry_rag

Post by harry_rag » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:14 pm

Just catching up with the rest of my accounts now. If I want to withdraw the money I've got with Sporting Bet I've got to deposit first as I haven't made a deposit in over 6 months! {8 I assume that's a longstanding rule and will probably stick a tenner in then withdraw the lot.

I'm only a small amount up or down with either spread firm so no need for any action there. I've got over £900 profit with SX but can't touch that as it all relates to long term markets that are currently suspended (largely sells of total penalties awarded in the Premier League and kicking metres in the 6 Nations). I guess it will be a while before I know how either of those markets are going to be settled and how much of that potential profit will actually be realised! *,

In the absence of anything worth betting on I'm planning some detailed analysis of my selling activity, by price and by sport/market. Early indications are that I might raise the minimum sell price from 20 to 25 as the lower prices don't seem to be that profitable. 24 is a freakishly profitable price to sell at but I'm inclined to assume that's a statistical anomaly when all of the prices round it do so much worse. Might as well fill some of the enforced spare time with worthwhile study of past results, on the assumption that we eventually get back to something approaching normality.

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:48 am

I've emptied all my accounts, but that didn't take long as I only have money with SX, SPIN & Betfair.

I'm not particularly worried about the financial state of those companies but as it is a reasonable amount of money to me then I feel more comfortable with it in my bank account.

Best wishes to all.

harry_rag

Post by harry_rag » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:23 pm

harry_rag wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:04 pm
Also in that game I backed Cody Walker anytime at 13/5 with PP for what I could get on (now cut to 21/10) and topped up at 5/2 with Fred. Also took what I could get on him scoring a brace at 11/1 Skybet and 10/1 PP. So little to bet on but not stopping the bookies applying their piddling little limits!
8(: You have to laugh I suppose. Find something to bet on in current climate, try to get £25 at 13/5 and get offered £9.60. Wouldn't normally bother but thought I'd take Paddy up on the suggestion to ring up and ask for "more please, sir". Speak to a perfectly pleasant Spanish sounding lady and, after a few stumbles, we get through my account details and the bet I want to place. Goes away to have a word with the traders, leaves me on hold for a while. Not a ridiculous amount of time but longer than you'd accept as efficient. Comes back and offers me the original £9.60 at 13/5 and I can have the rest at 2/1! :lol

I take the £9.60 I could have accepted in the first place and top up at 5/2 elsewhere. (Had I noticed a couple of firms with such a close next best price I probably wouldn't have bothered to ring and I won't be rushing to do it again.) Paddy promptly cut the price on their site from 13/5 to 21/10. Seems a bit drastic on the back of my modest punt when 5/2 is still readily available elsewhere. To cap it all, I decide to stick a fiver on the brace at 11/1 with Skybet and get limited to £2.27 so have to top that up with the £2.50 PP would allow me at 10/1.

I must be a hell of a lot shrewder than I think I am, and the bookies must still be doing so much business that's it's not worth their while to consider relaxing their sometimes laughable limits.

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:55 pm

:lol :lol

It's fcukin ridiculous. 8]

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:02 am

William Hill have closed all their shops with immediate effect.

nick

Post by nick » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:26 am

Col wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:55 pm
:lol :lol

It's fcukin ridiculous. 8]
Yes it's utterly mindless. Anyone with any sense at Paddys would hardly think that a bet of £25 at odds of 13/5 on an Aussie rugby league player that 99% of their regular punters (if they have any left) had never even heard of could somehow damage their business operation.

I was a Hills customer for well over 40 years as they were my first telephone account back in the 1970's. I had always had no particular problems with them until about 12 months ago when I received the dreaded e-mail.

Now, for example, I can't get more than £1.50 with them on a winning distances horse racing bet at odds below 5/2. You'd think in the current climate the bookies would be desperate to keep business flowing and relax their ludicrous restrictions to some extent - at least on certain markets that cannot be manipulated or arbed.

peanut

Post by peanut » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:56 am

Zurich v Young Boys 19:30
3+ FC Zurich corners
@ 2.10 sky
2 pts

Sky bet settled this as a loser with only 2 corners even though all the web sites I have checked have it as 3 corners.
A response from sky below

Opera Snapshot_2020-07-19_084958_twitter.com.png
Opera Snapshot_2020-07-19_084958_twitter.com.png (218.11 KiB) Viewed 660 times
*, what chance have we got if they cannot count to three :lol

harry_rag

Post by harry_rag » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:19 am

Neither spread firm must have quoted corners as they haven't got the make up on their results pages. Did you see the game? One possibility is that 3 corners were awarded but only 2 were taken (e.g. ran out of time). The bet will probably be based on corners taken rather than awarded. Other possibility is one was retaken and double counted by some sources. Just thinking of ways where you might not actually have been shafted!

peanut

Post by peanut » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:38 am

All is well harry :clap they have paid out on 3+ and money in the account .They obviously do not mean what they say :lol .
Perhaps they got a bit of stick about it and decided to do the right thing .

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:07 pm

:thumbs

peanut

Post by peanut » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:42 pm

The new B365 website is ,to put it bluntly ..CRAP {8 :(

peanut

Post by peanut » Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:12 pm

Anyone having trouble with B365 today ,I cannot open their web page {:(

harry_rag

Post by harry_rag » Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:50 pm

peanut wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:12 pm
Anyone having trouble with B365 today ,I cannot open their web page {:(
App seems fine for me. Anyone having trouble making card payments today? Having issues on a variety of sites and devices and using 3 different cards belonging to 2 different people.

peanut

Post by peanut » Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:08 pm

Cheers Harry :)
No idea with the cards I am afraid.

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:34 pm

Guys on the whatsapp were compaining it was down earlier.

harry_rag

Post by harry_rag » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:42 pm

Col wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:34 pm
Guys on the whatsapp were compaining it was down earlier.
Is that a new word that the kids are using Col? ;-)

Getting a bit fed up with SX at the moment and the treatment of my bets. They seem to have me pegged as a proper shrewdie which is flattering if slightly bemusing. I can't argue that I've not been doing well with the selling but it seems a bit of an over-reaction given the low stakes I play to. I seem to be having to place around 80% of my bets with SPIN at the moment. I'd like to think that most of their traders would wave my bets through without too much panic but they definitely seem to have some, at least, who regard me as having the power to move markets.

I went to sell a player's goal minutes at 37 today and noticed the price moved up to 39 before I submitted the trade. I assumed they'd flag that the price had changed and ask me if I still wanted to proceed but no, they rejected my trade and cut the price to 34! x-) (This on a game where SPIN weren't even offering the market.)

I recently had them offer me 20p stake on a RU hotshots sell where they were only 1 point higher than SPIN and cut a price by 2 points in reaction to my request where they were the same price as SPIN! Times must be hard in SX Towers if they're so reliant on me in framing their prices.

The big question is whether it's worth the time and effort to ask them to review the situation. Good chance of a "computer says no" response but if you don't ask...

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:09 pm

SX won't take any of my cricket bets.

harry_rag

Post by harry_rag » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:22 pm

Matt wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:09 pm
SX won't take any of my cricket bets.
Forgot to mention they've applied a reduced blanket stake to all my player try minute bets, RL and RU and including sub try mins as well as named players. They just say try again with 60p as soon as I submit. Modest as my stakes are I'm currently just not bothering to bet with them on markets where even a £1 sell is too rich for their blood.

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:14 pm

They must be sport & punter specific. I've won & lost big sums on rugby multi sells, but csn't get a penny on cricket PP sells most of the time (last week they offered me 38p).

I've more or less given up with them.