Re: Bricklayers fred innit

Post by The Fenman » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:05 am

You would love to be my neighbour wired we could bake cakes :x:
Keep doing right things, right things happen. . . Simple innit

kenbo

Post by kenbo » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:37 am

Nice one, Fenners. :clap

I can’t find a builders merchant open in a twenty mile radius. I’m 100 bricks short. *,

salmon spray

Post by salmon spray » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:15 am

Good morning.
Not sure whether being old is a good thing or not at the moment.
I suppose I am more likely to get it badly than younger people,and I'm hardly seeing anybody.
On the other hand my income is unaffected (so far) though a section of my capital is disappearing rapidly.

Fruitster

Post by Fruitster » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:02 pm

Hope you're all keeping well and safe.

Apart from my critical provisions posted the other day, I have been getting used to making more food at home.

I went and bought myself some pasta flour and some decent bread flour, so now find myself baking bread and making my own pasta.

I keep the recipes simple yet good each day.

Today's menu is stuffed peppers with bolognaise sauce and garlic bread. Peppers are good as they last for a while and are going to be baked anyway so the best before can be ignored within reason. This has the benefit of extending the use of the sauce (as one uses half the usual amount) and providing different colours of fruit. Some nice mature cheddar (another product I'm happy letting go by the best before date as I'm cooking it out) and a sprinkle of fresh parmesan. This is a really cheap meal (I estimate around £2.50 per person max) and nutritious.

Tomorrow we are having rump steak thinly cut into strips, marinated in paprika and just a hint of chilli. Beef stock from whatever stock you use (we are beef Oxo people), some finely chopped vegetables and noodles. Frying off the beef and the Veg in Olive Oil, cooking off the noodles whilst making some broth. Then just putting the whole lot together in pasta bowls.

Wednesday we are having tinned Salmon fish cakes with vegetables (I chopped, blanched and froze a load in and now get them delivered weekly) along with some Focaccia bread.

Thursday we are having Caeser salad with Tuna rather than Chicken. Everything else remains the same so it's an easy meal to put together. Served up with homemade garlic pizza bread.

Friday, being good Christians we still, to this day, stick to fish, so this is our third fish meal of the week. This week we will have Omelettes Arnold Bennet with fried vegetables once more.

Saturday the menu shows we are having sliced ham egg and chips, simple and enjoyable day away from the usual stuff and we do enjoy old fashioned meals from time to time.

Sunday, we are doing a Chinese. I have mastered the art of egg fried rice and we enjoy a hearty meal with home made vegetable spring rolls, just one breast of chicken between us cooked home made sweet hot chilli sauce.

Next week we'll mix things up a bit (like having the Caeser salad with chicken).

I would be interested in hearing any recipes as we enjoy trying new things.
The only time losing is more fun than winning is when you’re fighting temptation

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:36 pm

Nice read there Fruits :thumbs

You learn something new every day :)
I had to go and look up Omelettes Arnold Bennet Never heard of that before
Just watched James Martin throw one together on a video, looks very nice.

kenbo

Post by kenbo » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:06 pm

I’ve not got any recipes but I’ve got an easy sauce for pork chops. Ketchup, soy sauce, worcs sauce, bit of garlic and brown sugar. Mix it all together and pour it over your chops. I found it online as a marinade, but I think it’s better added after the chops have been cooked as a sauce.

All our mash potatoes are done in the oven now. We stick four or five potatoes in the oven for an hour and a half, then cut them open and scoop out the contents, add hot milk and plenty of butter. They’re beautiful, and haven’t absorbed a shit load of water through boiling them.

The Fenman

Post by The Fenman » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:35 pm

Omelettes Arnold Bennet

Oh yes one of my all time favs :) :) :)

Expected to ache but my trowel hand wrist is in bits, il be in bed by 7 pm *, *, *,

kenbo

Post by kenbo » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:30 pm

You’ll have to keep your wrist well exercised the next time you’re off work!

The Fenman

Post by The Fenman » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:57 pm

I had :> :> :> :>

kenbo

Post by kenbo » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:59 pm

;x; ;x; ;x; :clap

Janthefish

Post by Janthefish » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:39 pm

Kenbo I also do potatoes that way, one easy recipe, throw chicken in pot, get three Heads of garlic, bang with hand so they separate, dont bother to peel. 1/2+ bottle of white wine,1/2 pack of butter. season and cook, serve with simple deseeded cucumber, tomato salad, some chopped fresh parsley, and French bread to mop up juices. Despite the enormous amount of garlic , doesn't taste too garlicky but next day people will keep the alloted distance from you.

Janthefish

Post by Janthefish » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:25 pm

Another thing- I attended college studying meat technology, actually spent most of the time running card schools but did learn a bit, when it comes to sell by date, look at meat first- most beef and lamb OK well past sell by date if it looks OK, pork looks a bit slimy sometimes even before 'best by' often fine well after, use eyes. Chicken I NEVER buy near sell
buy date- too risky.

kenbo

Post by kenbo » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:41 pm

That sounds like an easy chicken meal. I presume the alcohol would evaporate once it’s cooked.

Now you’ve mentioned cucumber, I used to make cucumber raita to go with my home made kebabs. 8D

The Fenman

Post by The Fenman » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:41 am

Well that was the quickest job ever *, *, *, He was as worried as fuck yesterday expected it to be fair, he cannot get a roof so he has stopped :( :(

Missus was to retire in 6 months the place she works has shut down after today so that is her last day as well today.

She loved her job, going to be a weird day for her {:(

kenbo

Post by kenbo » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:01 am

Trying to get any supplies is impossible unless it’s ‘important’ job. The bigger firms who are carrying on have stockpiles of materials.

Has your missus firm shut for good, or just short term?

The Fenman

Post by The Fenman » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:23 am

No just while this virus things going on, but how long for hughnose {:( {:(

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:52 am

Yeah, nobody knows how long it will last, the expectations seem to be getting longer by the day.

Morning all
Take care.

The Fenman

Post by The Fenman » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:25 am

Ive somehow nicked £62 quid this morning, i know im playing with fire on something i know or anyone knows fook all about so i dont think ive found the holy grail ive just been a lucky twat :) :)

But lifted my spirits a tad . . . . Vitual racing on 365 (only doing it to make the accounts look muggy for when the good times roll) doing the outsiders in v small ew doubles been breaking even most of time just hit a 12/1 and 9/1 in a 34p {8 {8 {8 ew double. Plus other small wins.

Oh well thats pasted 2 hours *, *, *,

Trentham park bullit racing on 365 you know it makes sense :lol :lol :lol

kenbo

Post by kenbo » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:38 am

:lol

It sure is desperate times. I might have to join you!

Timmo

Post by Timmo » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:44 am

Your head must be spinning {8 there off every minute :lol

Fruitster

Post by Fruitster » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:30 am

kenbo wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:06 pm
I’ve not got any recipes but I’ve got an easy sauce for pork chops. Ketchup, soy sauce, worcs sauce, bit of garlic and brown sugar. Mix it all together and pour it over your chops. I found it online as a marinade, but I think it’s better added after the chops have been cooked as a sauce.

All our mash potatoes are done in the oven now. We stick four or five potatoes in the oven for an hour and a half, then cut them open and scoop out the contents, add hot milk and plenty of butter. They’re beautiful, and haven’t absorbed a shit load of water through boiling them.
Astonishing. I've spent my life getting irritated with the water when mashing (especially if like us you mix it up with cheese one time, mustard another etc) and now I see the simplest of solutions!
The only time losing is more fun than winning is when you’re fighting temptation

Fruitster

Post by Fruitster » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:32 am

Janthefish wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:25 pm
Another thing- I attended college studying meat technology, actually spent most of the time running card schools but did learn a bit, when it comes to sell by date, look at meat first- most beef and lamb OK well past sell by date if it looks OK, pork looks a bit slimy sometimes even before 'best by' often fine well after, use eyes. Chicken I NEVER buy near sell
buy date- too risky.
Thanks for the heads up.

I tend to stick to "use by" being a lot more important than "best before" especially if the item is going to be well cooked!

Janthefish

Post by Janthefish » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:34 am

Janthefish wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:39 pm
Kenbo I also do potatoes that way, one easy recipe, throw chicken in pot, get three Heads of garlic, bang with hand so they separate, dont bother to peel. 1/2+ bottle of white wine,1/2 pack of butter. season and cook, serve with simple deseeded cucumber, tomato salad, some chopped fresh parsley, and French bread to mop up juices. Despite the enormous amount of garlic , doesn't taste too garlicky but next day people will keep the alloted distance from you.
And equal amount of chicken stock to wine.

kenbo

Post by kenbo » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:11 am

Mustard is a great addition to mash. Horseradish goes well too.

The Fenman

Post by The Fenman » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:16 pm

Yep ive never done the baked potato thing either got fried new pots sausage and egg tonite but il give it a whizz tomoro. :thumbs :thumbs

Yeah i love mustard and horseradish mash. :thumbs

Think i may love it even more :thumbs

The Fenman

Post by The Fenman » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:12 pm

Ive broke the £100 barrier on this crap. ;x; ;x;

Im under no illusion its not the holy grail far from it, but im a ton, up got a few small arbs for Ted Rodgers downs tonite and most importantly another day closer to seeing the grandkids :clap :clap :clap Me and jake get Alexia to play marching songs then we march about the house saluting everyone :)

Such simple things i miss so much :(

But he ho ive got the super mash to look forward to tomoro.

Aintree park anyone ;x; ;x;

kenbo

Post by kenbo » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:22 pm

I had a dabble myself. 5x5 doubles at all different prices. Didn’t get a winner! *,

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:53 pm

You can't be too careful at Aldi

The Fenman

Post by The Fenman » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:25 pm

Kenners *, *, *,

Col ;x; ;x; THE WOMANS FACE TELLS A 1000 STORYS