PC And Tech problems

Talk about anything and everything
Col
Site Admin

Re: PC And Tech problems

Post by Col » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:25 pm

You can't beat a Samsung in my opinion, excellent brand.
All of my tv's and monitors are Samsungs.

I don't watch much tv myself, but I bought myself an android box and you can stream films and sports through your wifi connection to your smart tv. The missus gets to watch the films, and I get to watch the sports. :)

PlaceWinner

Post by PlaceWinner » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:50 am

Which box you got col...and whats the quality like?
"This will not be beaten"

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:39 pm

You can buy loads of different android boxes on ebay that come fully loaded with the ability to get all the sports and movies.
What that means is someone buys in the boxes, and preloads the software onto them, then sells them on as fully loaded
But a word of warning, I bought one of these, and when I got it most of the channels were not working, and the sports streams were down.

The m8 android box seems to be the one that's most popular just now
The box I got was a q7 8gb quad core media hub.
What I had to do was reset it back to the factory condition, then load the software myself.
It's all quite easy to do if you know where to look.

For tv and films it is excellent, anything that you might want to see is available.
Live sports streams are a bit hit and miss as some servers go down and have to be updated to the latest one.

I also found it is better to hard wire the the box rather than wifi, as buffering was a problem.
But again some servers were better than others.

PlaceWinner

Post by PlaceWinner » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:52 pm

:thumbs

harry_rag

Post by harry_rag » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:39 pm

Col wrote:You can't beat a Samsung in my opinion, excellent brand.
All of my tv's and monitors are Samsungs.
Cheers Col.

charliepie

Post by charliepie » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:45 am

howz the telly harry? would like one of those android boxes myself:-) 32" is a bit small unless you're sitting about 4 feet away from it:-)

harry_rag

Post by harry_rag » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:36 pm

Can't imagine needing a bigger screen to be honest, went with the Samsung and it seems fine. When I get a spare hour I'll probably learn everything it does and tweak the picture to the optimum settings but it's pretty good straight out of the box.

charliepie

Post by charliepie » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:58 pm

Good to hear harry, my next pc monitor will probably be a 32" lol - picture should mostly be fine out of the box or by using one of the presets as it depends what you're watching as to whether you need more dynamic brightness or a softer colour tone.

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:54 am

Anyone having problems with Firefox.
Switched on the pc this morning and firefox was doing an update, now when I start firefox, all I get is a blank page.

Tried reinstalling it, but still just a blank page.

PlaceWinner

Post by PlaceWinner » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:56 am

mines ok col

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:25 pm

Cheers mate
Can't figure it out at all.

Obviously something stopping firefox from connecting to the Internet. Disabled my security progs, but still nothing.

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:51 pm

Just for information, should anyone have the same problem.

The latest update to firefox, conflicts with something that was installed with my graphics card.
So if you have a NVIDEA Graphic card, maybe you should have a read of the link below.

http://mzl.la/1QQ1aub

russ

Post by russ » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:45 pm

My turn to dip my toe in the new TV market - current one is an old fashioned one that is nearly as deep as it is wide, so something weighing less than half a ton will be great!

Have had a Panasonic for ages and it refuses to break down, but maybe it's time for a treat, so looking at this - http://www.johnlewis.com/panasonic-vier ... 61457#next .

Any views welcome, although if you say bad things it'll throw me off my plan completely (I hate the hassle of having to buy new things where there is clearly far too much choice)!

harry_rag

Post by harry_rag » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:17 pm

All I'd say is I'm happy with my new Samsung so wouldn't rule them out but my previous TV was a Panasonic and is still going strong for it's new owner.

Encouraging to see it got 5 stars from What Hi-Fi but maybe check out this one that was a winner in the annual awards. Over £200 cheaper with John Lewis so I'd want to see if I could see enough difference from the 4k aspect before spending so much more (if you can be bothered to go out and look at a few sets).

http://www.whathifi.com/panasonic/tx-40cs520/review

Here's the Samsung award winner though this will set you back over a £100 more than the one you're considering.

http://www.whathifi.com/samsung/ue40ju7000/review

ohsosharp5

Post by ohsosharp5 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:16 pm

ANY ONE KNOW HOW I CAN SWITCH TO NEW FORMAT OF THIS SITE AM ON THE OLD ORANGE AND BLACK ONE 8]

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:21 pm

This version of orange and black is the new style, if you want to use the other style, go to user control panel, top right next to the private message symbol.
Board preferences, Board style, change to prosilver.

russ

Post by russ » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:33 pm

Thanks for your input Harry. I'll definitely go and see some sets in the flesh so to speak before buying. Probably wouldn't notice a huge difference with the 4K picture compared to ordinary HD (not that I even have that at the moment!), but tempted to pay the extra now to be as up to date as possible as I like to make my TVs last so won't be chasing upgrades any time soon after getting this next one.

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:16 pm

Right lads, peanut is having problems viewing the videos that we are posting on Puntersmate
He can see the youtube videos but not the facebook videos. Anywhere there is a facebook video posted, peanut just gets a blank post.

I suggested he update his flashplayer, that's been done
He then uninstalled the flash player and reinstalled it, still nothing

While looking to find a solution today, I came across this on the Adobe site.
Right click on any Flash video and select global settings and delete cache
So I just picked an Adobe sample video
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/actionscrip ... ing_5.html

I sent this to peanut, who then told me he can't even see a spinning box.

So that's where we are now
Peanut has the latest flash player, he's on an Adobe site, but he still can't see an Adobe flash video.
Oh and he has cleared the cache

Anyone any ideas

harry_rag

Post by harry_rag » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:00 pm

Try More tools/clear browsing data if using Chrome.

Also found this.

https://support.google.com/chrome/answe ... 5?hl=en-GB

peanut

Post by peanut » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:49 pm

Col wrote: While looking to find a solution today, I came across this on the Adobe site.
Right click on any Flash video and select global settings and delete cache
So I just picked an Adobe sample video
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/actionscrip ... ing_5.html

I sent this to peanut, who then told me he can't even see a spinning box.

So that's where we are now
Peanut has the latest flash player, he's on an Adobe site, but he still can't see an Adobe flash video.
Oh and he has cleared the cache

Anyone any ideas
Now can see the spinning box and followed instructions but still no pictures!!

peanut

Post by peanut » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:53 pm

Col wrote:Right lads, peanut is having problems viewing the videos that we are posting on Puntersmate
He can see the youtube videos but not the facebook videos. Anywhere there is a facebook video posted, peanut just gets a blank post.

Anyone any ideas
Found the problem Col, Ghostery . Will have a look at the settings or just pause it when I want to look. '#

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:08 pm

Well done peanut :thumbs
I've never heard of it before, but I had a google.
Knew it had to be some kind of browser add on that was causing the problem.

russ

Post by russ » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:49 pm

My Dell PC has recently started to slow up, especially if I have several tabs open. I ran a System Checkup which flagged up several errors and recommended Iolo System Mechanic (£24.99) to fix it. Looking at PCMag.com which recommends this program, it also recommends SilmWare Utilities SlimCleaner 4 - a free program.

Just wondered if anyone else has used SlimCleaner 4, or any other free tune up utility program? Don't want to shell out on something if a free program will do much the same thing.

Cheers.

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:02 pm

I've never paid for anything to clean my PC

These are the progs I generally use to keep mine spruced up

A few programs that I wouldn't be without.

Spybot search and destroy
There are a few imitation sites out there that will ask you for money for this program, below is the genuine site

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/home/index.html

CCleaner
Optimization and Cleaning
CCleaner is ideal for cleaning your Windows PC. It protects your privacy online and makes your computer faster and more secure.

http://www.piriform.com/products

Superantispyware
Despite the silly name, this is quite a good program.
Quick, Complete and Custom Scanning of Hard Drives, Removable Drives, Memory, Registry, and More!
Detect and Remove Spyware, Adware, Malware, Trojans, Dialers, Worms, KeyLoggers, HiJackers and many other types of threats.

http://www.superantispyware.com/index.html

Ad Aware
Comprehensive Malware Protection

http://www.lavasoft.com/index.php

You can also bring up your start menu and type in msconfig
Click on the start up tab, and untick anything you don't really need running on start up.

russ

Post by russ » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:14 pm

That's great, thanks Col.

The way the baseball systems are going I can't afford to buy a cleaning program anyway!!

:thumbs

russ

Post by russ » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:46 pm

Looking to get a laptop to replace my PC and just wondered if any of you chaps have any advice for brands/models to go for, or avoid? Looking to spend somewhere around £400 give or take. All the different on-line stockists seem to sell slightly different versions of each laptop which makes it hard to match up with reviews on techy websites. The reviews from Joe Public don't help much as they seem to vary so much.

Help!

harry_rag

Post by harry_rag » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:59 pm

I was happy with both Toshibas I'd had previously but have had a Samsung as my most recent laptop and would say I prefer that. There's no doubt a degree of recency bias in that though as each successive model will have a better spec than the last. Not much point in giving you the model number as it's over 4 years old.

All I can say is I've been happy with both makes and my most recent experience is of Samsung.

In fact, if you go back to page 8 in this thread you'll see a discussion on the subject and the link in Jock's post still works!

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:24 am

I don't know if I've just been unlucky with laptops, but I've bought two for my wife.
The first one was a Toshiba which she had for three years and then the battery wouldn't hold a charge and had to be plugged in all the time.
Then I bought her a Lenovo Thinkpad which after about eighteen months is the very same.

Maybe that's par for the course with laptops.
My ipad can go for days without charging.

russ

Post by russ » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:24 pm

Thanks chaps. It all seems a bit of a minefield.

Part of me still wants to just get a new desktop PC, but on the odd occasions when I'm away from home it would be handy to have all my day to day stuff with me.

Any other opinions welcome if anyone else is reading this.

harry_rag

Post by harry_rag » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:50 pm

If you're using the laptop for long periods at home you can take the battery out so it's not being charged then used all the time. That will considerably prolong it's life. A constant cycle of being charged then discharged will use it up more quickly so, if you can conveniently used it plugged in most of the time, take the battery out.

I've never had a PC at home and could never imagine getting one now.