PC And Tech problems

Talk about anything and everything
harry_rag

Re: PC And Tech problems

Post by harry_rag » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:32 am

Thinking of buying a tablet computer in the next week or so, any that you would recommend or dogs to avoid? Tempted by the Ipad air but open to alternatives.

Assume most people think it's worth going for full size rather than the mini? Any opinions on storage size, will I regret going for the basic 16gb?

Any opinions welcome, assuming we're not all a bunch of old luddites who've never seen a tablet other than the ones we take for Rheumatism!

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:16 am

My kids & wife all have ipads and they are much more portable & easier to use than a laptop, even around the house. Very good for internet use etc but not great for spreadsheets. Depends what you want it for I guess.

I can't help with what size memory you need. My kids download games but I think it is films that are the real drain on memory. I don't think we have ever had a problem on that front.

I have a Nexus tablet which is just about the same size at an ipad mini. The smaller screen size is not ideal but it's bigger than a phone and it fits in a jacket or coat pocket. I don't have any apps so no issue with memory size, I just use it for internet (mainly sports scores!) and and email. Biggest plus to it is that it only cost £99.

harry_rag

Post by harry_rag » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:39 am

Cheers Matt. Some good Nexus products on offer but I'm inclined to go for an Ipad if I take the plunge. It's a bit of an indulgence but no harm in that! As you say, portability is a big plus; option to use it when it's not worth firing the laptop up and to carry it around with you.

Smaller "mini" style options aren't to be sniffed at but I find myself thinking they're a bit too close to my phone size to be really worthwhile. Full size 10 inch tablet seems the better halfway house between laptop and smartphone.

Any other views welcome.

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:09 am

I don't have a tablet, but I used my young lads ipad for a while, and found it excellent.
It did have it's drawbacks as Matt mentioned, with certain software.

I bought myself a thinkpad not long ago, and on reflection should have went for a tablet.

Just got an email from Ebuyer with a link to Tablets

charliepie

Post by charliepie » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:07 pm

I've always been an android chap, recent upgraded my 7" galaxy tab(version 1) to an 8" galaxy tab 3 - it only cost £129 after various cashbacks so was a bargain and great for portability and light browsing though not as zippy as I'd hoped. The extra screen size really does make a difference so I'd steer clear of the nexus 7 for that reason though it is an excellent tablet

If you want smooth and slick then an ipad is probably your best bet and the bigger screen is better if portability isn't an issue though a couple of my friends have the mini which I'm pretty impressed by(they needed to be able to fit it in jacket pocket so if you need this then go mini)

if you fancy something a bit left field then how about this?

http://www.staples.co.uk/iconia-w4-wind ... h1Ah7w_wcB

there really is so much choice that it might be hard to narrow it down harry!

harry_rag

Post by harry_rag » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:03 pm

Thanks guys, had a look at those links. I know there are some decent alternatives out there but may decide to go for an Ipad.

Saturday is a possible day to buy from one particular site as I will have a 10% discount through work. Just need to get my head out of World Cup mode longe enough to decide and buy one! :)

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:53 pm

Any particular ipad harry.

harry_rag

Post by harry_rag » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:54 pm

nick

Post by nick » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:19 am

I've been trying for over an hour this morning to get onto certain gambling-related sites e.g Sportinglife, Betfair, several bookies, Attheraces etc. No dice! I can get onto BBC and obviously Puntersmate. I have tried both Firefox and Google Chrome but same result.

I realise that it could be an issue with virus protector. I have always just used AVG Free (cheapskate, I know ;-) ) and have the latest version installed.

I have tried "System Restore" a few times and gone back as far as I can to a date 3 months ago, but each time am informed that there is nothing to restore, as there have been no changes to the computer in that time (I've never had a message like that before and have always managed to have some "restoration", however minimal.

Everything was fine when I logged off last evening at about 6.45 pm, so I'm struggling to understand what has happened in the meantime.

Anyone any ideas, please?

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:11 am

I use AVG nick, and never had a problem like that before.
Who is your ISP and have you changed it recently.

charliepie

Post by charliepie » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:47 pm

If system restore doesn't work it does sound mystifying. ?.
Can't think of anything but the usual online scanners, bitdefender etc...
Have you tried chrome?

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:49 pm

I've just heard that BT had a problem this morning.
Are you BT nick.

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:16 pm

Anyone recommend any good live stream apps for the ipad. ?

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:41 pm

Someone passed on Live Media Player to me on Facebook.
From the app store.

Still playing about with it yet.

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:49 am

Windows 10 is going to be available as a free update to users of windows 7 and 8 shortly.
I've applied for it, but now I'm having second thoughts about it.

Anyone else getting it, or have any thoughts on it.
I remember when I got Windows 7, it was a bit of a nightmare for a few weeks.

PlaceWinner

Post by PlaceWinner » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:10 pm

Also been accepted Col....so fingers crossed
"This will not be beaten"

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:52 pm

Just installing windows 10 on my desktop.
All I can say is, if anyone is planning on doing this, give yourself plenty of time.

Been running an hour now, nowhere near done.

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:58 pm

Installed in two hours.
I'll have a look around, see what I think.

PlaceWinner

Post by PlaceWinner » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:53 am

Keep us updated col, not doing mine yet!

Did you have to save anything before installing?

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:57 am

My system is set to create a back up every Sunday anyway mate, but Windows 10 doesn't tell you to back anything up.
Still having a look around for now, I'll post up later.

thegambler

Post by thegambler » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:40 am

done windows 10 last week does take a bit of time to install but i reckon its a bit quicker than windows 8. still looking through it all but looks easy enough....he says

alancraik

Post by alancraik » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:59 am

installed windows 10 yesterday, took a couple of hours, seems easy enough to operate.
PC seems to be operating a lot faster.

downside
some old internet explorer (5 etc) supported software will not operate on windows 10, not really surprised as Microsoft stopped supporting then years ago.

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:47 pm

Yeah, it seems quite easy to use but just for simplicity I'm going to remove it from my desktop, and leave it on the Laptop.
Spent a while looking for the control panel, and there isn't one, it's now supposed to all be in Settings although it doesn't look as comprehensive as control panel.
there's also a trial period of a month, if you don't like it within that time, you can roll back to your original windows.

alancraik

Post by alancraik » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:35 pm

col

go to all apps,
scroll down to Windows System
click on
second one down Control Panel

harry_rag

Post by harry_rag » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:30 pm

8(: Looks like windows 10 has unwittingly cost me a fiver without me even intending to upgrade to it! While I've got the "get windows 10" icon on my computer I haven't knowingly opted to receive it. It would seem, however, that there was a failed attempt to download it earlier this month, coinciding with an unusually high download amount in my broadband usage history (over 3GB in one day).

As a result, I've received an email from my ISP warning me I'm approaching my download limit for the month and will then pay £5 for an additional 5GB!

Whilst I'm reaching the point where I feel it's time to upgrade to unlimited anyway, it's a bit galling to be hit in the pocket by Microsoft as a result of a download I didn't particularly want in the first place!

alancraik

Post by alancraik » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:52 am

well my liking for windows 10 lasted two days,
cannot load any of their apps, page just keeps trying to load.
my old programmes seem to be ok

PlaceWinner

Post by PlaceWinner » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:16 pm

Up and running now with W10. Touch wood gone ok, did crash once early but so far so good since

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:49 pm

If anyone like me has uninstalled windows 10, but still has that little box in the taskbar nagging you about reinstalling.
Right click on the clock and time, click on customize notification items, GWX get windows 10 change to hide icon and notifications.
Click OK

charliepie

Post by charliepie » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:21 pm

Win 10 is a big improvement on win 8 but I recently ran into the disappearing start menu problem. Can still right click it to get to control panel etc but nothing when you left click - so annoying and no fix for it yet. I have tried several suggestions but it looks like a reinstall job. It seems that the problem does reoccur even after a clean install which is a bit concerning. This also affects some of the clickable items in the system tray like the WiFi icon.

harry_rag

Post by harry_rag » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:45 pm

Thinking of buying a new TV and this one is currently top of the list.

http://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-ue32h6 ... i/p1319175

I know 32 inches is starting to be seen as a size for the bedroom or second set but this will do me for my living room set up. Any thoughts on the subject? Views welcomed on Samsung or other makes if you've just bought a new set, even if with a bigger screen. This will be my first foray into smart TV territory.