PC And Tech problems

Talk about anything and everything
Matt

Re: PC And Tech problems

Post by Matt » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:02 am

I can't offer any insight on the technical side but I agree with what Harry says, an ipad not a replacement for your laptop/pc.

We got one last Christmas & it is brilliant, we all use it for different things (the Betfair app is great, easier to use than their website), but it doesn't replace a laptop/pc when it comes to "proper" work - Excel, Word etc.

russ

Post by russ » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:50 pm

Thanks for your thoughts chaps. We will definitely be keeping my PC and when that reaches the end (hopefully not for a while) I would definitely get a new PC or laptop, so the tablet is definitely an addition to and not a replacement for the PC.

I'm sure Wi-Fi will be sufficient for our needs (and will avoid any accidental large bills from 3G overuse!).

Out of interest, does anyone out there use any other make of tablet and have any strong views on pros or cons?

Cheers.

Jockathan

Post by Jockathan » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:01 pm

For you guys with 'Smart Phones'....

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/10-things-you- ... 41129.html

Jockathan

Post by Jockathan » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:57 am

Would anyone like to comment on how they use their phones in very useful ways? (besides the basics). I was reviewing before Xmas the mobile phone situation for me and my other half. I'm on a WAP and it does what I need it to without any bells and whistles. The other half is on a basic phone, but I know she would love to get on 'Facebook' with her phone if she could (at least until she got bored of it :) ).

Changing the TV channels (number 8 on that list) from the kitchen when the other half is watching some crap strikes a funny cord within me. :)

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:27 am

I've got a Samsung Galaxy, and I don't use it for anything exciting {:)
Just use it for emails, texts, getting on the site, and of course as a phone. :lol

I've also never downloaded an app.

harry_rag

Post by harry_rag » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:15 am

I've quietly joined the "smartphone" revolution, buying an iPhone 4 off someone who's upgraded to the 5. Got to say the web browsing experience is light years ahead of standard mobiles. Much easier to research, place, post and follow bets on the move. I might keep buying that guy's cast offs as he upgrades. Decent condition and a bargain price, which always appeals to me' :)

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:25 am

I had an iphone a couple of years ago but got rid of it in favour of a Blackberry which I find much better for email. However, I didn't really use the iphone for web access & never downloaded an app so I wasn't using it to its full capacity. My wife & kids have iphones & ipads & they love them.

slav

Post by slav » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:39 pm

i have both an iphone and a blackberry (the bb is for work). although the iphone has come on leaps and bounds from a work perspective in last few years with things such as the 'Good' app (it means you can get your email and look at attachments), you still don't have a proper keyboard and the batteries on iphones are at best pants.

i've downloaded a fair number of apps from games to books to Skiing apps, Running apps, & also things such as SkyGo (am not advertising Col but if not allowed to name them feel free to delete this bit!) which means if i'm away on work & have Wifi somewhere i can always watch Sky on my phone (the players look REALLY quick on a small screen!). I think the iphone is brilliant, i use it for my music as well (& of course you can get bog standard internet stuff). Iphone beats blackberry hands down, but only for personal use.
Never get the latest version though, too overpriced, do what Harry does, much much better idea.

did i mention the batteries were shit mind? :thumbs

Jockathan

Post by Jockathan » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:41 am

I suppose with an eye on waiting for prices to down Blackberry Users are not in any mad dash to get the BB10?

Also......Apple's fourth generation 128 GB iPad being released next Monday for a whopping £732. http://uk.news.yahoo.com/apple-unveils- ... 45244.html

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:29 pm

For the more Technically minded

I have a smartphone with unlimited Internet, can I use it to feed an ipad where I have no wifi.

Beattheodds

Post by Beattheodds » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:58 am

Yes Col welcome to the 21st century :thumbs

if you have an IPhone

plug your phone into the PC/laptop

Go to settings

Turn Personal hotspot on

Go to wireless network connections list on PC , it should of picked it up if not refresh the list

Select iphone or the name of phone on the networks list , input iphone Wi-Fi password

Away you go.

:)

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:09 am

Cheers bto :thumbs
I've never had the need to do it before, it was just a thought I had the other day.
I don't have an iphone, I've got the Samsung galaxy 3, so the directions are slightly different.

Came across this video on you tube for Samsung galaxy 3
[youtube]OhsElb_7l5g[/youtube]

harry_rag

Post by harry_rag » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:51 am

You might just want to check the terms and conditions of your contract in terms of using it for tethering Col. If it's not allowed, and assuming they can detect it, you don't want to get hit with punitive charges.

For example, 3's t&cs seem to suggest you can do it on some plans but not on others without buying an add-on.

http://support.three.co.uk/SRVS/CGI-BIN ... =obj(3599)

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:56 am

Ah, right harry
I'm with Virgin mobile, I'll go and have a look around.

harry_rag

Post by harry_rag » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:08 pm

It might be stretching the definition of "tech" a bit but I'm in the market for a new electric shaver!

Does anyone have a make or model they particularly recommend (or one they'd avoid like the plague)?

I've pretty much always used Braun but I'm tempted to switch to Panasonic, with this model catching my eye.

http://www.shavers.co.uk/product.php?product_id=1144

Any views welcome (assuming you're not all real men who only ever wet shave)! :)

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:20 pm

Can't help here harry
I used an electric shaver until I was thirty five, until I found myself in a hotel overnight with a meeting to go to in the morning, and without my shaver. A visit to boots in the morning, and a wet shave followed.

Just couldn't believe how close the shave was compared to the electric alternative.
Never went back.

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:28 pm

Although looking at that link, I'd be tempted by the Free Wahl 5560 Wonder Hygienic Nose Hair Clipper! :lol

harry_rag

Post by harry_rag » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:37 pm

You may laugh Col, but since the extendable trimmer bit fell off my current shaver (the reason it needs replacing) I've been getting a bit unkempt in that area! :lol

The occasional quick trim was enough to keep it in check but you can't really get at it with the main shaving block!

Jockathan

Post by Jockathan » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:27 pm

Got myself a new nasal trimmer only yesterday - from a Pound shop here in Caernarfon. It took 20 years off me. :)

Harry: My stepfather bought me an expensive electric razor some time ago and that trimmer is now broken. Sod them...I've gone back to soap and water.

To do eyebrows (unless you wish to look like Denis Healey) use a comb to line the longer ones up and cut with scissors.

charliepie

Post by charliepie » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:28 pm

Seems like a bargain harry so I'd go for it! I think I have used a Panasonic wet/dry in the past and was quite happy with it. Wet/dry is definitely the way to go so you are on the right track there. I currently use a Philips wet/dry(with the 3 round heads like most Philips shavers) - it's one of the models which has a moisturiser compartment which you can fill and there are two holes on the shaving head where it oozes out but you can also use gel or foam too. Let us know how you get on:)

harry_rag

Post by harry_rag » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:55 am

Cheers guys, I've decided to go for the Panasonic.

Will report back on my initial views, though a brand new shaver with a new foil and blades should definitely be an improvement on my old one with bits falling of it!

russ

Post by russ » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:53 am

With all the research you must do for your bets I'm surprised you have time to shave Harry :lol

harry_rag

Post by harry_rag » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:57 am

:) That's why I need an efficient electric shaver Russ, no time for all that wet shave faffing around!

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:45 pm

Just received this scam email supposedly from Paypal
paypal con.png
paypal con.png (14.25 KiB) Viewed 2609 times
Of course I knew my card details were still in date, but if you click that paypal link, it redirects you to a site to enter your card details. I tried it just to see what happens, and luckily my AVG Antivirus picked it up as a security risk anyway.

Just posting this as a warning.

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:07 pm

Don't let dirt and grime build up on your PC screen
Clean it up with this handy tool HERE

Beattheodds

Post by Beattheodds » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:15 pm

:cheers Excellent tool Col thanks :lol

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:05 pm

Was moving my desktop and all the accessories, router, printer, back up storage, modem etc, into the next room, and had to run new cables under the floor.

Been dreading it all week, as you can imagine the amount of cables.
Anyway, just finished running the cables under the floor, came up and started plugging everything in.

It all worked first time
It's a fookin miracle. :clap :clap

russ

Post by russ » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:08 pm

8D

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:46 am

˙ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ s,ʇɐɥʇ

russ