Chess Chat

Talk about anything and everything
harry_rag

Re: Chess Chat

Post by harry_rag » Sat May 30, 2020 2:20 pm

I'm at the table if anyone wants a cerebral workout.

kenbo

Post by kenbo » Sat May 30, 2020 4:39 pm

Another monumental fook up by H cost him the latest match. He was in total control and pushing for checkmate when all of a sudden he let his queen be captured by my king. He thought it was covered by an imaginary piece on the board! After that he had very little chance, and I won after making far more moves than necessary. I’m shit at finishing a game off.

harry_rag

Post by harry_rag » Sat May 30, 2020 5:30 pm

kenbo wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 4:39 pm
He was in total control and pushing for checkmate when all of a sudden he let his queen be captured by my king. He thought it was covered by an imaginary piece on the board!
:). Oi, get it right mate. I imagined that my rook also had the powers of a bishop as well! *,

I’m up for a game 7ish if you are but no problem if not.

harry_rag

Post by harry_rag » Sun May 31, 2020 7:03 pm

I assume it’s too late on a “school night” but if anyone fancies a game I’m free, if you’ll excuse the Mr Humphreys ism.

harry_rag

Post by harry_rag » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:57 pm

Thought I'd better check the score against Kenbo and post it so we can keep track.

The first "series" went to me, 10.5 to 5.5.

Currently standing at 3.5 each with Kenbo odds on to beat his previous score. I probably have him shorter to win the race to 10 than he does, but at 14 - 9 overall he's certainly capable of beating me! (That means it's 10-9 since I won the first 4 games.)

Just 2-0 against Timmo; shout if you want a game assuming you still have time and inclination.

kenbo

Post by kenbo » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:25 pm

I’ll have a game soon. Just got to take the dog out and have a quick bath. Will send you an invite as soon as I’m ready. :thumbs

harry_rag

Post by harry_rag » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:27 pm

kenbo wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:25 pm
I’ll have a game soon. Just got to take the dog out and have a quick bath. Will send you an invite as soon as I’m ready. :thumbs
:thumbs

kenbo

Post by kenbo » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:27 pm

I don’t feel like I’m winning many games on merit. Half of them are through bad mistakes by you. I do make quite a few myself, more due to being under pressure a lot.

kenbo

Post by kenbo » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:19 am

5.5 to 3.5 in Harry’s favour now. He smashed me easily and quickly in our first game, so we had another straight away. That looked destined to be a draw as we both down to a knight and a rook each, and several pawns. But again H played a blinder and managed to checkmate me.

harry_rag

Post by harry_rag » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:18 am

:thumbs Yeah, enjoyed that game, highest standard we’ve played so far with neither player making any obvious errors. I had a slight piece and positional advantage and managed to press it home but one poor move could have flipped it round.

Feel a bit more comfortable with that 2 game buffer between us now!

harry_rag

Post by harry_rag » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:56 pm

Just sent an invite, let me know when if now not convenient.

kenbo

Post by kenbo » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:04 pm

H won the second series 10-7, so I’m improving each time. Current scores in the third series is 1.5-0.5 in H’s favour.

The last game ended in our first ever stalemate (what a silly rule that is!) but I’m claiming a moral victory for it!

harry_rag

Post by harry_rag » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:26 pm

:) You certainly deserved to win and were in no danger of losing but, as you will have gathered, I'm a bit fonder of the rule right now than you are!

Bottom line is my King wasn't in check but I couldn't make a move without putting in check, hence stalemate. When you took my rook (that rhymes in my accent) it was the equivalent to clicking the "draw" button!

We're getting our spotters badges, had a stalemate, both taken a pawn en passant, is there much left? Don't think either of us will be falling into the trap of Fool's Mate.

Let's see if you can beat 7 this time, I think it will be a close series and I'm glad of any win (or stalemate) I can get.

Just finished a 136 move, 4 day marathon game against my mate. Closest he's got to beating me but he messed up at the end so it's 10-0 now. That's why I value playing you as its much closer and if I don't improve you'll pass me by.

kenbo

Post by kenbo » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:32 pm

Our main game isn’t that far apart any more. It’s getting into a scrap at the end with you where I struggle. I think I’ve had a few games where I was the statistical fav going into the end match, yet have no real idea what I should and shouldn’t be doing. I don’t think it’ll be a quick fix either.

kenbo

Post by kenbo » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:36 pm

Never heard of ‘fools mate’ before. I will have to try and avoid that opening.

My mum shown how to do it in four moves, I thought that was the least amount possible until I looked that up.

harry_rag

Post by harry_rag » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:40 am

To delay doing what I should be getting on with today, I've done a bit of analysis of our games to date. Having won the first two series 10.5-5.5 and 10-7 I'm now 1.5-0.5 up in the third series, making the overall score 22 - 13.

I've played 16 games as white with a record of 9 wins, 3 draws and 4 defeats (making the score 10.5 - 5.5).

Your record as white is 19 games, 7 wins, 1 draw and 11 defeats (making the score 11.5 - 7.5 in my favour).

You've played the same opening move in every game, E4 (or pawn to K4)! Come on man, mix it up a bit! ;-)

I've played a few different openings but never used E4. Sample sizes too small to draw any conclusions but here's the record for each opening.

Pawn to B3 - Played once and won

Pawn to C4 - Played 4 times for 2 wins, a draw and a loss

Pawn to D4 - Played 3 times for 2 wins and a loss

Knight to F3 - Played 6 times for 2 wins, a draw and 3 defeats

Pawn to G3 - Played twice for 2 wins

Going to have a quick look at average number of moves then get on with what I should be doing! {8

harry_rag

Post by harry_rag » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:05 am

Average moves per game = 82, rising from 74 in the first series to 88 since then. I suspect that reflects your improvement as the closer we are in ability, the harder it will be to win a game in fewer moves.

Average moves in games won by me = 75, rising to 98 in games won by you (draws = 77). I've won 3 games running to 100 moves or more (all in my last 5 wins) while you've won 6.

Not sure what to make of that, could just be random that you've won twice as many marathon games so far. You've probably resigned a few more times than me as well. 5 of the last 10 games have gone into 3 figures compared to only 2 of the first 10.

Oh well, that's enough stat attack for now! Game later perhaps.

kenbo

Post by kenbo » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:47 pm

Some very interestIng stats there. Regarding my opening move, I read online that that is the most common one, that’s probably why I do it every game! I get flustered when I change my second on third move sometimes!

I can play any time around 6pm. I will send you an invite when I’m ready and you can pick it up at your leisure.

harry_rag

Post by harry_rag » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:54 pm

kenbo wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:47 pm
Some very interestIng stats there. Regarding my opening move, I read online that that is the most common one, that’s probably why I do it every game! I get flustered when I change my second on third move sometimes!

I can play any time around 6pm. I will send you an invite when I’m ready and you can pick it up at your leisure.
Ok, should be ready around then.

harry_rag

Post by harry_rag » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:19 pm

kenbo wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:04 pm
H won the second series 10-7, so I’m improving each time. Current scores in the third series is 1.5-0.5 in H’s favour.
My win today levelled the series 3.5 each, a scenario which also occurred in the previous series. Kudos to Kenbo for winning 3 consecutive games for the first time, which is certainly a shot across my bows.

I need to reduce the number of mistakes I’m making so I’m going to try and do that and win the series by a better score than the last one. It’s going to be a challenge though.

kenbo

Post by kenbo » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:15 am

I need to win four out of the next eleven to get my best score yet. That sounds more than feasible to me.

Regarding mistakes, they happen to at least one of us in every game. We play at a reasonable tempo too so that’s going to make them even more likely. It feels like I’m making them more when I’m under pressure and behind already. You’ve made one or two recently when you’re in a dominant position and let me back in the game. That rook move which was took by my pawn standing out the most.

Let the battle commence! :)

harry_rag

Post by harry_rag » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:37 am

I’m hoping the scoring continues to mirror the last series in which case I win the next two and we go to 5.5 -3.5!

kenbo

Post by kenbo » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:46 am

The next game could be fairly crucial. I will have to try and find my ‘A game’.

harry_rag

Post by harry_rag » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:41 am

Quick score update, 6.5 - 4.5 in my favour. Kenbo's 3 straight wins followed by 3 for me then one each. Some good games with a better standard of play by both of us.

In case of interest to Kenbo (and all the other eager chess fanatics!) I thought I'd post the link to the 2 videos I've watched recently. This is the first one (I've not quite finished the second yet.)

I mainly watched this to see what the top 10 responses to the pawn to K4 opening was and how frequently each was used. Each move is discussed so quickly that it's hard to follow in detail but it just gave me an idea for moves to mix up the games given the extent to which Kenbo favours this opening (which tends to lead to aggressive games).

The main thing I got from this game was a realisation that there are more options for the first or second knight moves than I have been considering. I've been blinkered for some reason and only ever moved my knight as far forward as possible. It hadn't even occurred to me that moving the knights in front of the king or queen was a valid move to develop the knight and start to attack the centre of the board. So I'm now aware of this (fairly obvious) option and consider it where relevant. I've also embraced the idea of advancing the bishops more quickly, to the 4th or 5th row, rather than always trying to keep them in reserve a bit further back.

Combine that with me trying the "Kenbo opening" for the first time and I think I've started to play in a more attacking way rather than always trying to slowly develop all my pieces before going for any attacks.

harry_rag

Post by harry_rag » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:05 pm

This is the other video which I'm watching to the end now. Only watched it as it followed on from the last one. Will let you know if I thought it was any good.

harry_rag

Post by harry_rag » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:47 pm

Hmm, interesting while watching it but couldn't follow it all and didn't really take anything in. {8