Car Insurance/accident advice

Talk about anything and everything
bollybear

Car Insurance/accident advice

Post by bollybear » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:55 pm

Looking for some advice,guys.

Mrs. Bolly has a 9 year old Hyundai Coupe with only 19000 miles on the clock. Parked in the road outside the house and some silly cow reverses in to the rear of the car. Admits liabilty and we inform our insurance broker. Here comes the problem. To us the car is " as new " - to the insurers it is a 9 year old Hyundai. The broker sends someone round who seem to have the final say. In our ignorance we think about £ 1.5 K- how much damage can you do in reverse ? We are still in cuckoo land when the inspector says to us that " off the record" it is economic to repair.
After 9 days we have heard nothing in spite of phone calls to the broker. I spoke to a friend who works at a main dealer who said that they like to write borderline cars off and usually offer 40% of it's true value. Do any of you have any experience of similar? We can argue all we like but it does not seem they are going to repair. If they write it off, we will keep it and get it repaired. It has great emotional attachment as it belonged to Mrs's Bolly's late mother. Obviously,they won't pay out on emotion but can you suggest any argument we can use ?

Col
Site Admin

Re: Car Insurance/accident advice

Post by Col » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:31 pm

Such a shame bolly
at only 19000 miles it is still practically new
I'd get a couple of bodyshops to give you a quote before the insurance guys get back to you.

I'm sure we have someone on here who is quite clued up on the Insurance side of things though.

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:11 pm

How did you get on bolly?

bollybear

Post by bollybear » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:48 am

Still struggling,Col . Having said it was not economic to repair,they finally took the car away 2 days ago- 6 weeks to sort out ! An added problem was that the woman was insured with Esure and they would not answer phones or emails.
Anyway,a day after they had agreed to repair and the car went away,the repairer phoned and said the bill had to go up as they had found damage under the car when they put it up in the air. I said that they had already examined the car and agreed to repair. They basically said " tough" and they have the car. They want to write it off,then they will do it up and sell it for a big profit as it was a real immaculate 19000 mile car. The broker got involved yesterday and they agreed to the repair yet again ! However,this will only happen if the back wheels are aligned- whatever that means ! So they still seem hellbent on having an earn . The charge at the moment is £ 3450 ! It is a joke- we live in a cul de sac and the woman backed in to the parked car- how much damage could she possibly do ? Three and a half grand by the sound of it !

Thanks for asking,Col- you have got me revved up again. Apart from feeling they are going to stitch us up, the feeling of having no control is a real nightmare !

PlaceWinner

Post by PlaceWinner » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:55 am

8(:
"This will not be beaten"

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:09 am

Fookin shocking bolly.
I know exactly the feeling you must have, like banging your head against a brick wall.

Is there not some sort of insurance arbitration authority you can approach.

Janthefish

Post by Janthefish » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:15 am

Just spoke to my mate, a mechanic and he said find out what category they've writte it off, if it's C got to be checked over by the police and not worth doing but if it's D would cost nowhere near that quote.

Hoofhearted

Post by Hoofhearted » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:35 am

Feel for you Bolly

I had an insurance nightmare about 5 years ago.

I had been made redundant but luckily found work in Nottingham which was quite a commute.

Both my lads had fled the nest, and what with my redundancy payout I decided for once I'd treat myself to a decent car and got a nice low mileage BMW, quite sporty too for an old git :lol

I'd only had it for 4 weeks when some c**nts broke into my house and stole the keys.

It took about 5/6 weeks to pay me out- was meant to feel as though it was an inside job, had a long telephone call trying to catch me out, had to send spare keys in ( I think they can see when they were used with this hi tech stuff), licence checks to ensure I'd advised them of all points on the licence etc.

The wife was in a state for weeks, and is still to this door is paranoid about locking doors, we had to pay a large car insurance excess, house contents excess to mend the door, I had to pay for a hire car for 5 weeks as one didn't come with the policy, and then had hassle over the valuation they were giving me.
I got arsey refusing to accept their settlement offer saying if you think I can get a like for like car for that you go out and source me one! eventually I got another £500 out of them.

It was just endless hassle even little things like my glasses were in the car so eye retests etc.

I ended up well over £1500 out of pocket plus the hassle, and it's only just coming to an end e.g. Hassle getting annual quotes with having a claim etc.

Totally Wired

Post by Totally Wired » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:15 pm

and they wonder why people try and have them over ... thieving bastards ...legal burglers x-)
The Revolution starts at closing time

bollybear

Post by bollybear » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:53 pm

Thanks for your words of advice,guys. It seems I am not the only one getting shafted.Will let you know their next move x-)

bollybear

Post by bollybear » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:26 pm

Got the car back today- repaired ! Just shows that you have to keep arguing. Also helps if you have a stroppy cow as a wife . {8

Just doesn't ring true when one day it is uneconomic to repair and then about 6 weeks later it is all sorted.

Thanks for your help and advice, guys.

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:43 pm

Nice one bolly :thumbs
Glad you got it sorted out.

Hoofhearted

Post by Hoofhearted » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:47 pm

:thumbs
A result - well done for persisting with it