Re: Film thread (and the odd book)

Post by Col » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:22 pm

:thumbs

kenbo

Post by kenbo » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:29 pm

toptwo wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:24 pm
Law Abiding Citizen - giving this 8 too. I've seen it before and any film you're willing to watch again is worth mentioning imv.
Gerard Butler stars in this quite violent but clever film where revenge is a dish best served cold! it also stars Jamie Foxx :thumbs
I knew this had been mentioned on here. I remember watching it when it first came out, but I probably wasn't paying that much attention to it at the time because it never really registered with me. We've just watched it again, and I thought it was superb. :thumbs

Totally Wired

Post by Totally Wired » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:43 am

Watched that Den of Thieves .... 7/10 ... not a bad filum for me :thumbs

FARGO ... Tv Series ( not the film ) on NETFLIX ....... Good stuff imo :thumbs '#
The Revolution starts at closing time

Totally Wired

Post by Totally Wired » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:44 am

kenbo wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:29 pm
toptwo wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:24 pm
Law Abiding Citizen - giving this 8 too. I've seen it before and any film you're willing to watch again is worth mentioning imv.
Gerard Butler stars in this quite violent but clever film where revenge is a dish best served cold! it also stars Jamie Foxx :thumbs
I knew this had been mentioned on here. I remember watching it when it first came out, but I probably wasn't paying that much attention to it at the time because it never really registered with me. We've just watched it again, and I thought it was superb. :thumbs
yeah mad film .... maybe a tinsy winsy little bit over the top :lol :lol
The Revolution starts at closing time

kenbo

Post by kenbo » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:05 am

I watched the first series of Fargo when it was on telly each week, then by the time the second series had started I couldn't be bothered to try it again.

Law Abiding Citizen is totally far fetched. If you overlook the technical difficulties of pulling something like that off, then it's a damned good film.

kenbo

Post by kenbo » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:54 pm

Better Watch Out. - It's a new premiere on Sky Cinema this week.

A sixteen year old girl is babysitting a twelve year old lad at Christmas. He's smitten with her, and thinks he has a chance of getting his wicked way with her. Unfortunately somebody is stalking the house, and threatens to kill them if they try and leave. Can she save him? Can he save her and win her over?

It's described as a dark comic horror, and there is a bit of gore, but that's mainly off camera.

I put it on with low expectations, but I have to say I really enjoyed it. I might even watch it again at Christmas, even though it isn't your typical Christmas film.

7/10. :thumbs

toptwo

Post by toptwo » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:25 am

Kenners '#

kenbo

Post by kenbo » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:34 pm

The Prestige is on Sky One tonight. It's well worth recording if you haven't seen it.

Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman (along with Michael Caine) star as two 19th century magicians who are at loggerheads. There's murder, revenge and deception. It was also directed by Christopher Nolan ,who has become a huge star in his own right.

It really is a great film, and it's one of those that you want to watch again afterwards.

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:35 pm

Bird Box
Thriller starring Academy Award winner Sandra Bullock, John Malkovich, Sarah Paulson, and Trevante Rhodes.

I'm not a big movie fan, but persuaded by the preview to sit down and watch this.
Held my attention from the start, and right through the movie, at times on the edge of my recliner.

Fifteen minutes of the film to go and we were reaching the pinnacle.
Only for the cheesiest ending possible to slap you in the face.

Bloody Yanks :(

kenbo

Post by kenbo » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:10 am

I looked this up the other day to see what it was about. I saw 'post-apocalyptic' in one review and that automatically puts me off a film (as does any films with the words wizards, ghouls, ghosts, supernatural, fantasy, dystopian, to name a few)

It's a shame how a poor ending can spoil a decent film. I might put it on in the back ground, as after today there'll be no darts to watch for a few days!

PlaceWinner

Post by PlaceWinner » Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:20 am

I enjoyed Bird Box,reminded me though of a similar film called "The Quiet Place" though yes the ending could have been better
"This will not be beaten"

kenbo

Post by kenbo » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:08 am

The Quiet Place was referenced in the review I read on IMDb. I gave that film half an hour before I switched it off. It's definitely not my cup of tea.

I've recently downloaded Show Box onto my firestick. It's not the easiest app to navigate when you first use it because you have to regularly switch from cursor, to 'up and down scroll'. Once you get your head around that, it's a pretty good site for films and TV shows. There's no links to manually choose like some sites. You just click 'watch now' and a top quality stream plays.

Since swapping to Virgin there's no Sky Atlantic on there, so I have been able to watch the new Ray Donovan on there.

PlaceWinner

Post by PlaceWinner » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:50 am

Really enjoying this series of Ray Donovan, its pretty dark

jimb

Post by jimb » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:29 pm

Did anyone watch Young Offenders? I saw a trailer and thought I wouldn’t like it, but it turned out to be the funniest thing I’ve seen in ages. The episodes with the duck and the last one when they hi jack the bus are classic
Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.

kenbo

Post by kenbo » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:00 am

I have seen it's on Netflix but the picture on the sleeve put me off (a couple of lads in tracksuits). I've also never seen an Irish production that I've enjoyed really.

jimb

Post by jimb » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:42 am

Kenbo that's exactly what I thought, the tracksuits and silly haircuts put me right off.

But I gave it a go and I promise you it is seriously funny

kenbo

Post by kenbo » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:08 am

I will give it a go then. I must admit I had a very quick look for it when I was in bed last night but didn't see it. I'll you the search option. :thumbs

kenbo

Post by kenbo » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:09 am

I found it on Netflix last night, Jim, but it was the film. Did you watch a TV series?

jimb

Post by jimb » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:34 am

Yes I did, I haven't seen the film

kenbo

Post by kenbo » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:58 pm

Having looked at it, it sounds like the film was made first, then they decided to make it into a series. I will watch the film first. :cheers

kenbo

Post by kenbo » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:24 pm

I watched the film last night, Jim. It started off well but faded badly towards the end.

I'd imagine shorter versions of it will be much better. They're likeable lads.

kenbo

Post by kenbo » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:56 pm

I've just watched Green Book. I enjoyed it far more than I expected to. Here's somebody else's synopsis !!

In 1962, Tony "Tony Lip" Vallelonga, a tough bouncer, is looking for work with his nightclub is closed for renovations. The most promising offer turns out to be the driver for the African-American classical pianist Don Shirley for a concert tour into the Deep South states. Although hardly enthused at working for a black man, Tony accepts the job and they begin their trek armed with The Negro Motorist Green Book, a travel guide for safe travel through America's racial segregation. Together, the snobbishly erudite pianist and the crudely practical bouncer can barely get along with their clashing attitudes to life and ideals. However, as the disparate pair witness and endure America's appalling injustices on the road, they find a newfound respect for each other's talents and heart to face them together. In doing so, they would nurture a friendship and understanding that would change both their lives.

It's actually shot without preaching to the audience which makes a change for this kind of film. 8/10 from me. :thumbs

PlaceWinner

Post by PlaceWinner » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:44 am

Yes saw film last night, recommend it.

The two lead actors were great

kenbo

Post by kenbo » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:06 am

I'm no fan of the Oscars, PW, but I see the black actor is 1/6 for best supporting actor. And the film itself is 7/2 for best picture.

kenbo

Post by kenbo » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:54 pm

I've just watched the first two episodes of Mayans MC on BBC catch up (all the episodes are on there btw). Apparently it's a spin off from Sons Of Anarchy (I watched the first series years ago but never bothered with any more, I probably should because everyone raves about it) and it also has a touch of the excellent Gangland Undercover to it.

It's well worth a watch imo. Especially with the quiet days and nights we may be having. 7.5/10.

harry_rag

Post by harry_rag » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:02 pm

Special Branch is currently being shown at 9:00 on Forces TV (Freeview 96), after a double helping of Never the Twain! {8

It’s a bit like a trial run for the making of The Sweeney minus Jack Reagan and any real sense of drama but ir’s an interesting watch for anyone with a sense of nostalgia for early 70s TV. Patrick Mower crops up in half the episodes, in his prime.

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:34 pm

Special Branch rings a bell but I can't exactly remember it. I remember Patrick Mower from way back on Callan. :)

harry_rag

Post by harry_rag » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:41 pm

Was he in the series or just the film?

Crops up in roughly every other Special Branch as “special guest artist”. Got a couple of guest appearances in the Sweeney as one half of a pair of Aussie crooks with George Leyton then went on to star in Target.

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:47 pm

I'll have to go and google it harry, I'm sure it was the series.

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:49 pm

Yeah, in the series with Anthony Valentine as well. :thumbs