Film thread (and the odd book)

Talk about anything and everything
toptwo

Re: Film thread (and the odd book)

Post by toptwo » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:06 pm

:lol Agreed Linny - brings back childhood memories for me that, loved that theme tune!

Denzil is very good in American Gangster mate - the true story of Frank White 'King of New York' defo worth watching if you haven't already seen it :thumbs

kenbo

Post by kenbo » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:44 pm

I've read a few of the Lincoln Rhyme books (Denzil's character in The Bone Collector) and they're always good. I enjoyed the film too.

I was a bit disappointed with The Equaliser.

The Linnet

Post by The Linnet » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:25 pm

I thought it was quite good , not great , but just as a 'something to watch as theres sod all on' it filled the time nicely :thumbs
Money Is A Hoax , Debt Is Slavery , Media Is Manipulation , Religion Is Control

The System Is A Lie

kenbo

Post by kenbo » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:49 pm

I recorded Good Will Hunting the other night, and put it on yesterday.

It's a great film written by, and starring Matt Damon and Ben Affleck. MD plays a janitor who's a mathematical genius, but instead of putting this to good use, he'd rather go on the piss, and fight.
He ends up having to have counselling with the fantastic Robin Williams, and nearly every scene they have together is great.

I'm sure most have already seen it, but if you haven't, don't be put off by the title (I was, I was expecting hunting in forests, or something similar). 8/10.

harry_rag

Post by harry_rag » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:17 pm

kenbo wrote:I recorded Good Will Hunting the other night, and put it on yesterday.

I'm sure most have already seen it, but if you haven't, don't be put off by the title (I was, I was expecting hunting in forests, or something similar). 8/10.
That's almost as bad as my mate who didn't watch Sppoks for years as he thought it was about spys but with a supernatural element to the stories! {8

The Linnet

Post by The Linnet » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:29 am

:lol *,
Money Is A Hoax , Debt Is Slavery , Media Is Manipulation , Religion Is Control

The System Is A Lie

kenbo

Post by kenbo » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:38 pm

I've just watched the two hour special of Gold Rush that premiered last night.

If you've got a shed load of time on your hands then they're worth watching from the start (eight seasons, and God knows how many episodes).

It starts off with a father and son selling up, and going gold mining as complete novices.

bollybear

Post by bollybear » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:44 am

I wonder if this will be Todd Hoffman's year ? I think Discovery must heavily subsidise him because he seems to fail every season. I loved the relationship that Parker had with his Grandfather. It may be just " made for TV " show but they certainly are not scared of hard work. I am officially addicted to the show . {8

kenbo

Post by kenbo » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:52 pm

We have another super fan! :clap :clap

He's definitely subsidised by the show. He's (almost) a global superstar now and probably makes more from the show than he ever will/has gold mining. He's a likeable chap though, and I hope he shuts Parker up this year. Parker is a right wanker, but he's got a great work ethic, and sticks up for himself, which I can't knock him for.

Chumlee (from the pawn show, can't remember what it's called) is worth a few million dollars. You don't get that from being an employee in a pawn shop. Once Discovery get hold of you, you're probably set for life.

kenbo

Post by kenbo » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:48 pm

Todd holds on to his early lead. :clap :clap

bollybear

Post by bollybear » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:15 pm

He missed 2 days mining as well ! However, I am sure Todd will find a way to make things interesting !

There was a programme on later about Dave Turin and it looks like he might be doing a spin off.

kenbo

Post by kenbo » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:27 am

I watched that last night too. I was expecting him to dramatically arrive at Todd's claim in episode three or four. That doesn't look like it will happen now.

kenbo

Post by kenbo » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:55 pm

I've just caught the end of a TV quiz show called Tenable. To win £11,000 they had to name the first ten signs of the zodiac alphabetically. They also got three lives in case it was too difficult. Fook me, talk about dumbed down television!!

bollybear

Post by bollybear » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:16 pm

Todd got back to normal last night,Kenners {8 Looking at next week's trailer though, Freddie Dodge has a cunning plan.......

In other news, Tony Beets continues to pee against the wind *,

kenbo

Post by kenbo » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:43 pm

I've just watched it, Bolly. :thumbs

I thought it was quite a boring episode this week. It was no surprise to see Todd have a shocker though. *,

Tony makes for good television, but he'd be a bastard to work for.

Alaskan Bush People starts soon. That's a good one. :thumbs

kenbo

Post by kenbo » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:42 pm

I've just put Deliverence on. 8D 8D

After watching the magnificent Jon Voight act in Ray Donovan, I thought I'd better watch this again.

Squeal like a pig, boy.

toptwo

Post by toptwo » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:46 pm

Peaky's are coming! :thumbs

PlaceWinner

Post by PlaceWinner » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:17 pm

:clap
"This will not be beaten"

bollybear

Post by bollybear » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:20 pm

How good was that ? :clap :clap Just read a critic's review and his take on the kitchen " incident" was that it looked as if Tommy had been " swimming in offal ".... {8 " Tommy" was on TalkSport today and said there will definitely be a series 5 . :clap :clap

kenbo

Post by kenbo » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:58 pm

I've never watched it. I might have to download the first season and see how I get on with it.

PlaceWinner

Post by PlaceWinner » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:23 pm

Brilliant opening episode of the Blinders last night
"This will not be beaten"

kenbo

Post by kenbo » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:51 pm

I've had a proper slob day and ending up watching three documentaries on the Kodi Box.

Searching For Sugarman - A little known singer from the USA becomes a huge star in South Africa. The problem is he doesn't know it, and the South Africans think he's dead. Two men search for the truth about him. Will they find him? Quite enjoyable. 6.5/10

Notorious. A documentary filmed over the space of four years charting Conor Mcgregor's rise to stardom.
I'd never heard of Conor before his fight with Mayweather, nor had I seen any form of UFC fighting. Fook me it's a brutal sport!
He came across exactly as I expected. A loud mouthed vulgar chav, who's managed to earn millions from basically street fighting inside a ring. He's managed to set himself up for life, so fair play to him really. 7/10

Dealt. The story of Richard Turner. He's one of the best card magicians/card mechanics in the world. He spends 16 hours a day learning his trade and honing his skills. He can deal you three cards from the middle of a deck, or the bottom of the deck without anybody knowing. The most amazing thing about him though is that he is totally blind. You find yourself thinking 'how the fook does he do that when he can't even see the cards'. 7/10

salmon spray

Post by salmon spray » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:49 pm

Hello.
I've just started going to the cinema again after a hiatus. Seen 4,the most recent of which,and the most commercial, was " Battle of The Sexes ". Emma Stone almost managed not to be too pretty to play BJ King and was very good imo. I thought Andrea Riseborough was quite brilliant in two TV series last year but she was no more than alright in this and wasn't outstanding in " The Death of Stalin " either. May be suffering from under-written supporting roles.

kenbo

Post by kenbo » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:58 pm

I'm now visualising Emma Stone giving head after that post! Not for the first time I might add!

I hope you manage to get in on the Pensioners Special when you go to the cinema!

salmon spray

Post by salmon spray » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:13 pm

Naturally,given I remember BJ ( lol) King when she was BJ Moffatt. I'd never seen Stone before tbh as Lalaland didn't appeal at all but I was impressed ( by her acting ).
Her namesake Sharon was my major crush 25 years or so ago.

kenbo

Post by kenbo » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:21 pm

Ah, Basic Instinct. The most paused movie scene in film history, I would've thought!

harry_rag

Post by harry_rag » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:09 am

I watched "Hell is a City" on Talking Pictures today. Well worth a watch next time it comes around, as most things do on that channel.

1960 crime drama starring Stanley Baker, a rare non-horror film from Hammer. Great use of locations in and around Manchester.

It also has a gambling element to it, with Donald Pleasance playing a bookie and scenes at a "tossing school" which were, apparently, all the rage back in the day! {8

One that I imagine would get the Linnet seal of approval if he can bear it being set north of Watford! :)

kenbo

Post by kenbo » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:27 am

Defo Linny's era.

salmon spray

Post by salmon spray » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:53 am

Anybody else seen " The Kiling of The Sacred Deer" ?
Very weird but compelling watching. The acting was brilliant. Just got the feeling the director wasn't always in charge of his material though.

kenbo

Post by kenbo » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:44 pm

I put it on for five minutes, then thought I'm not really in the mood to give it ago.

I think he's one of those directors who'll do plenty of 'cult films'. He did one called Lobster that's supposed to be a bit strange.

Does Nicole Kidman get naked in it? That could sway me into giving it a go.