Whatsapp group

Talk about anything and everything
peanut

Re: Whatsapp group

Post by peanut » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:07 pm

Never really gave it to much thought to be honest but after today it makes me think.

A nice win today and thank you :thumbs , with plenty of traffic on whatsapp but not much on the forum after Col put it up??
Plenty of well done's also on whatsapp but again not many on the forum. {:(

A bit of a worry one would think, not sure what the answer would be but I can see why some have concerns.

harry_rag

Post by harry_rag » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:12 pm

Maybe the views are divided down age/tech lines to a certain extent. I'm probably not quite as old as most of the "doubters" ;-) and I do have a compatible phone but I still find the notion of Whatsapp unappealing (someone had recommended it to me before and I didn't feel inclined to install it).

It's the notion of stuff being withheld from the forum that probably concerns people. If it's more a matter of getting information out faster than would otherwise happen or not revealing the member that it's come from then that's not unreasonable. If it still ends up on the forum as quickly as possible that should avoid any "us and them" scenario developing.

It's probably academic from my point of view if it's going to be horse related anyway. No-one's going to be that eager to get my esoteric ramblings direct to their phone and half my bets are placed about 2 minutes before kick off anyway! :)

I think we'd definitely have to have zero tolerance for any Whatsapp related aftertiming, i.e. no one booming on here about winners or fancy prices that weren't available directly via the forum.

freebooter

Post by freebooter » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:56 pm

harry_rag wrote:Maybe the views are divided down age/tech lines to a certain extent. I'm probably not quite as old as most of the "doubters" ;-) and I do have a compatible phone but I still find the notion of Whatsapp unappealing (someone had recommended it to me before and I didn't feel inclined to install it).

It's the notion of stuff being withheld from the forum that probably concerns people. If it's more a matter of getting information out faster than would otherwise happen or not revealing the member that it's come from then that's not unreasonable. If it still ends up on the forum as quickly as possible that should avoid any "us and them" scenario developing.

It's probably academic from my point of view if it's going to be horse related anyway. No-one's going to be that eager to get my esoteric ramblings direct to their phone and half my bets are placed about 2 minutes before kick off anyway! :)

I think we'd definitely have to have zero tolerance for any Whatsapp related aftertiming, i.e. no one booming on here about winners or fancy prices that weren't available directly via the forum.

Personally I think that really goes without saying, its not quite a tech thing for me,my wife's phone goes off with whatsapp all the time I just don't need to be looking at my phone every two minutes, also most of my bets are on before midday & I spend most of the actual racing laying in running or looking at the next days form, for me its just an added distraction, it would be sad if this was actually going to dilute the forum itself too much & people actually stop coming on here full stop.

PlaceWinner

Post by PlaceWinner » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:40 pm

Lot of hard work by Col and members to get the forum back to where it belongs, and all in all seems to be achieving this. So don't really see the point of What's App "sensitive info" as let's face it we are not an army of hundreds, and with technology today's it's as easy and quick to post on here as it is to App those interested. Also everyone here has paid a subscription so should be entitled to the best support, also not everybody wants their phone number available to a "group"
"This will not be beaten"

momoadams

Post by momoadams » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:59 am

My penny's worth. The people who asked for this have there reasons... we just all make a gentleman's agreement only the ones who asked for whatsapp because of sentative info post on there the rest of us post on puntersmate. ..best of both worlds.....

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

The Fenman

Post by The Fenman » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:33 am

My veiw.

If something aint broke dont fix it.

This place is running a dream ^/ i certainly wont being useing wassup thingy i dont even know what it is and neither do i want too. :thumbs
Keep doing right things, right things happen. . . Simple innit

freebooter

Post by freebooter » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:50 am

momoadams wrote:My penny's worth. The people who asked for this have there reasons... we just all make a gentleman's agreement only the ones who asked for whatsapp because of sentative info post on there the rest of us post on puntersmate. ..best of both worlds.....

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Good morning all

What has not been thought through is the fact you would be more than willing to let people join whatsapp who have no track record of actually posting on here whatsoever.
I know basically no-one on here knows anyone else personally with perhaps a possible odd exception but let me ask you this if you had some important info away from a forum who would you tell, maybe a close friend who likes a bet, I doubt you would tell all & sundry would you, I am all for new people joining in here the more the merrier but it seems like your defeating the object by making it a free for all on whatsapp or am I the only one that sees it that way {:(

peanut

Post by peanut » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:33 am

I do agree with freebooter, it does seem counter productive. :)

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:44 am

It looks like I have to hold my hands up, and admit I made the wrong decision to create the whatsapp group.

Reading the posts on here, and the private messages I have received, the vast majority of our regular posters don't want it.

Placewinner hit the nail on the head
Everyone on this forum has worked hard over the last couple of years, to get Puntersmate where it is today, why should we then more or less invite people to go elsewhere.

milbear0

Post by milbear0 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:50 am

I can see the concerns being voiced by regular forum members about diluting the 'conversation space' online via Whatsapp. I am a reasonably new member to the forum and am currently still taking stock of the situation online but I have to say I like the Whatsapp group, not for its 'sensitive info' status but because of its instant access and option of notifications. I can assure everyone that no one has used the group for discussion to this point, just posting selections and some really nice images and videos of connections enjoying their win. Incidentally the selection was also posted online via the forum.
I like it, and it's another platform to add to this terrific forum that no one else is offering. Members have the choice to join or not but I agree that information should strictly be shared equally amongst Whatsapp followers and forumites as we are all paid up members.

oioiboy

Post by oioiboy » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:52 am

I don't post much but always post when I have some info or strong fancy or to congratulate someone on a great pick etc (not always on them but still say well done:) ) but think times have changed and the added addition of a whatsapp group is a great idea. Plus sometimes I have been given a bit of info about a runner that I've been told not to post on social media or a public forum and therefore haven't as didn't feel comfortable doing so. I would feel more comfortable posting such info in a whatsapp group as its like sharing with a few friends. I don't see this affecting badly on this great forum but just adding to what is already a great place. Plus Sometimes if you are an owner or someone connected to a yard/Horse/Dog etc then they can give you info on a selection and let you know if the price will go quick so you may have a chance to get the best price available where that isn't available by posting on a forum (hope this is all making sense).

That's just my opinion on the subject :thumbs

milbear0

Post by milbear0 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:10 am

I'm gonna paste some discussion as had on Whatsapp in the last few minutes:
Added my opinion to which is same as yours pretty much Rob, think this is a great idea and would be a shame to let it go now but that's just my opinion
The chance to get instant notification is a huge bonus for those who work and that's what you get by having a WhatsApp group

Regarding the "info" I'm putting up.
I would like it to be on both platforms, but the whatsapp way is a chance to get it instantly, Instead of members missing it because they're not logged in on PC.
I don't think it should be used for tips as such..
But for more of a help to get the word out quicker....and be posted on both.

That's its major plus point to me too. I read puntersmate probably on a twice daily basis at 7am and again 7pm. Anything that occurs I between those times passes me by.
It should be pointed out that it's simple to copy and post any item from Whatsapp to the forum and vice versa by any member, and I'm sure plenty of people will happily do so about any pertinent information within the Whatsapp thread.
Alternatively perhaps allow the Whatsapp thread to continue as an 'instant notification group' for people to sign up to if they see a benefit in selections being copy/pasted from DLaP and sharing of multi media?
This is the Internet after all and efficient info sharing is the bottom line.

Cheers mark. But we should be having the discussion on the forum. Everyone on here wants it.

This discussion should be posted online in its entirety too methinks, but the fact it's occurring here shows both the illustration of Colin's concerns and the eagerness to embrace the platform!

oioiboy

Post by oioiboy » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:11 am

The chance to get instant notification is a huge bonus for those who work and that's what you get by having a WhatsApp group. I don't think having both affects this forum one bit to be honest.

scam75

Post by scam75 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:18 am

I am quite new on here and rarely have anything worth posting re: tips. I am mainly "read only". I do however like the WhatsApp Group and the instantness of it! I don't want to speak out of line but for me it would be a great shame to do away with WhatsApp and as long as info is posted on both channels I don't see the issue. After all we all want to do the bookie and if it suits some better to receive via WhatsApp and others to stay faithful to the forum then I feel we should all embrace it.

Stuart

Twisler

Post by Twisler » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:44 am

Soon.....very soon,

I have told Col of something that I NEED to be kept to a minimum exposure.
I approached him with the idea of emailing everyone en-mass a couple of hours before the "deed"..... then the idea of texting or Whatsapp
arose.
I wanted to share this because of the banter and quality information that is available, and without the knobheads, like on BF. And it would be great
to involve all members on here.

Ideally I don't want it visible.......maybe i'm too cautious and blowing it out of proportion, but it's possibly worth quarter of a mill to me so I'm going
to be having a think about how to share.....

Fruitster

Post by Fruitster » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:04 pm

First up I should say I am in the new tech camp. So you all know where I am coming from.

However, even with the latest encryption security applied to whatsapp (those of you with this app should make sure you are right up to date on this), I have my doubts about the app itself. I am a risk mitigation person, this is what I do for a living so I tend to come at situations like this with that in mind.

There are at least 4 security threats with whatsapp.

1. It is easy to crash another users app by sending too large a file. This will crash the thread every time one tries to open it. Far be it for me to say whether such a thing would occur in this community, but as we have little or no security screening for joining, any one could join and then maliciously attempt this on other users.
2. If by some chance one of us visits a site on our smart phones that has whatsapp malware (and they are out there believe me) this malware can shoot across to all the others in the group hidden inside a message.
3. There is a simple piece of spyware that can access the handset through whatsapp (even with the new encryption) this can then download into other handsets and report back to the sender.
4. In addition to the above, there is a spyware called mSpy which does much the same. This is a growing problem (according to my compliance who decide all these things with our handsets).

Notwithstanding the above, I think instant messaging would add to the community. Perhaps we should look at other platforms that are more secure, such as Telegram messenger. I mention this as the app has more advanced privacy settings (being able to isolate the group from other lists within one's contacts etc)

Perhaps the first step might be for us, as a community, to ask those who want to assist in this to review the various ways we can exchange information in real time (which does seem to be the driving factor in many ways). Once reviewed, the conclusions can be presented to the community.

This may seem long winded, but my experience has been that in all internet communities there is one major factor that decides whether the community thrives or withers, that is simply whether the community itself takes control of its future in how it operates. This way one avoids the awful scenes one finds in other places (which shall be remain nameless) and also means we all have a say and can all take ownership of decisions. To be honest, I foresaw a situation such as this and it is unjust and even wrong to expect Col to keep making decisions for a community that is growing the way ours is. We have the platform so readily available by Col and we cannot expect him to continue shouldering the whole burden.

Thank you.
The only time losing is more fun than winning is when you’re fighting temptation

kenbo

Post by kenbo » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:25 pm

This has really got opinions divided. Without sitting on the fence too much I'm neither for or against the WhatsApp idea. I can't really see it being detrimental to the forum though.

As others have said about themselves, I don't really contribute to the "tips" on here. I'm a guesser who gets lucky now and then but I often back the fancies of the Top Boys on here.

I won't be joining up with WhatsApp because it's not my cup of tea, I don't do social media and I've surprised myself over the last few years that I even post on forums. I never thought I would but I enjoy it.

nick

Post by nick » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:40 pm

What is commendable is how balanced and courteous the differing views have been expressed on here :) .

Says a lot for the quality of the forum and the decency of the guys (absent Eszter included ;-) ) who have subscribed to it.

As I understand it, Col receives the info and then it is up to him to circulate it on WhatsApp. Maybe, if the person e.g. Twisler consents, Col could simultaneously put it clearly on here. I can see the point that those people who do not gamble for a living simply cannot keep accessing the forum and must feel aggrieved/frustrated at missing excellent info. WhatsApp clearly solves that problem, albeit with the caveats that Fruity has mentioned.

masteroats

Post by masteroats » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:15 pm

I can fully understand both sides of the argument, I personally had no idea how to use whatsapp so got my son to set it
up for me and do like the concept.

Opinions aside, what I thought was a nice touch by Twis was see the video of "Avenue Des Champs" being saddled up and then watching the race,
see the plan come together and then jubilant connections afterwards. As we are all well aware it does not always go to plan so to watch it all
come together like that was a breath of fresh air and gave an air of involvement which you do not always get from watching it on TV.

Whatever gets decided, we have a great group of people on here and I for one am looking forward to a great flat season which between
us I am sure will see some nice touches will be landed.

nick

Post by nick » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:35 pm

Just another quick point that I forgot to add.

When Col put the horse on the forum yesterday at 12.53 pm Avenue Des Champs was 7/2 with 4/1 in a couple of places. I checked the "Oddschecker" history, and it had never been bigger than 4/1. Presumably stable connections and WhatApp subscribers were on at 4/1.

Yet the horse was 5/1 at the off, suggesting that members of this forum did not affect the market in any significant way at all. Perhaps simultaneous posting on the forum would not be such an issue after all?

The Fenman

Post by The Fenman » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:40 pm

I may be an old fossil and aint a techi, but whatever you lot decide is fine by me.

Hell i may even get rid of my nokia 360 :x: and get an eyephone {8

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:51 pm

Ok lads, having read the discussion there are pro's and con's and we seem to be split right down the middle.

As this whatsapp group was set up with twislers info in mind, I've spoken with twis, and this is what we propose.
We keep the group for a trial period and see how it goes.

No information will go on the whatsapp group unless it's been posted on the forum first.
This group for now is just to read any info that twisler has already posted on the forum, it is not a substitute for the forum.
Members of the group must post their selections, if they have any, on the forum

This is still open to discussion, so if you have any views on this, please carry on.

The Fenman

Post by The Fenman » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:26 pm

Fine by me Rommel :thumbs

Twisler

Post by Twisler » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:35 pm

Fine by me Col,

Just one point tho...... I would hate it if anyone thought this is "The Twisler Show" , i'd rather go back to just posting/reading the forum if that
was the case.

The feedback on the pics/vids was good, i'd like to carry that on on whatsapp.....stable shots, behind the scenes, winners enclosure ....
perhaps some shenanigans with Danny Brock, Milly Naseb, Freddie T et al.

Opinions/Objections ??

Barton60

Post by Barton60 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:55 pm

I think that is the best solution Col, The Forum is No1 priority . I really did love the little vids Twis however . It helped me get as near to owning a horse as I would. I some how felt a little part of its run. Cheers to both of you. : Thank you.
Now I need some good winners for tomorrow please :) :) .

oioiboy

Post by oioiboy » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:02 pm

Mark, I don't think many if any will be thinking that.

As Barton says thanks for the vids :thumbs

kenbo

Post by kenbo » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:45 pm

Carry on, Mark.

You've already gave us some great insights to the behind the scenes of horse racing. Most of us don't get to hear anything like that normally.
You've put some great tips up for us, and it's nice to have an owner who posts from the heart on here. The Twisler will undoubtedly be a forum favourite (the horse, not you btw!!) who we'll cheer on and back every time he runs.

I certainly won't feel like I'm missing out on something by not signing up. '#

Secretariat

Post by Secretariat » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:38 pm

kenbo wrote:Carry on, Mark.

You've already gave us some great insights to the behind the scenes of horse racing. Most of us don't get to hear anything like that normally.
You've put some great tips up for us, and it's nice to have an owner who posts from the heart on here. The Twisler will undoubtedly be a forum favourite (the horse, not you btw!!) who we'll cheer on and back every time he runs.

I certainly won't feel like I'm missing out on something by not signing up. '#

Echoed

Well put Kenners :clap :cheers
You dont need eyes to see you need VISION

Twisler

Post by Twisler » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:25 pm

Kenbo and others.......

One year ago I was just working hard with my small courier business, and then BOOM big Nokia contract.
Great profit that enabled me to buy Twisler....
Rated 66 .....thanks to Jane now 105. Very VERY lucky.
I'm normal..... love racing, love betting and feel like i'm dreaming.
I used to think the whole racing community was a snobby. unapproachable. elite. closed shop.

Its actually a bloody good craic.... and hopefully my Spielberg camerawork and comments can capture some images of what it's like.
Janes stable is soooo welcoming, I love spending hours there. watching them on gallops. feeding mints and chatting to the horses. soppy....but brilliant.

#livingthedream

Secretariat

Post by Secretariat » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:29 pm

Twisler wrote:Kenbo and others.......

One year ago I was just working hard with my small courier business, and then BOOM big Nokia contract.
Great profit that enabled me to buy Twisler....
Rated 66 .....thanks to Jane now 105. Very VERY lucky.
I'm normal..... love racing, love betting and feel like i'm dreaming.
I used to think the whole racing community was a snobby. unapproachable. elite. closed shop.

Its actually a bloody good craic.... and hopefully my Spielberg camerawork and comments can capture some images of what it's like.
Janes stable is soooo welcoming, I love spending hours there. watching them on gallops. feeding mints and chatting to the horses. soppy....but brilliant.

#livingthedream

Love it TWIS
Sounds my ideal life
Well jealous :cheers
You dont need eyes to see you need VISION