On TV Tonight

Talk about anything and everything
harry_rag

On TV Tonight

Post by harry_rag » Mon May 10, 2010 6:49 pm

Top of the Pops 2 80s special on BBC2 now till 9.00. Full of good and bad memories for those of us of certain ages! :)

By the time I've posted this you'll just have missed Kajagoogoo.

Nice p*ss taking commentary from Mark Radcliffe too.

Col
Site Admin

Re: On TV Tonight

Post by Col » Mon May 10, 2010 6:55 pm

:)

Already watching harry

harry_rag

Post by harry_rag » Mon May 10, 2010 7:02 pm

Had forgotten what a foxy minx Nena was, German accent and all! :)

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:03 pm

The Damned United coming on now on BBC 2

harry_rag

Post by harry_rag » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:03 pm

:)

Already watching Col.

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:06 pm

:lol :thumbs

theborrower

Post by theborrower » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:09 pm

are you 2 sat side by side with your laptops :lol

Jockathan

Post by Jockathan » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:12 pm

I watched that...not bad, but the documentary afterwards 'Brian Clough: The Greatest Manager England Never Had?' I felt was very good - despite the Derby gols against the Arsenal! :)

Jockathan

Post by Jockathan » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:05 pm

Not tonight as such, but there has been a ground breaking programme as such of a young girl with a Cochlear Implant called 'The Silence' http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... Episode_1/

I don't vouch for the programme in anyway as I haven't watched it yet, but it is ground breaking in the sense that it involves someone with a CI in main stream society.

I am bi-lateral myself (called 'Stereo' as a laugh :)) and the operations (£25K a shot) made a fantastic improvement in the quality of my life.

I have been Honorary Secretary of the support group for NW England for a good eight years or more.

Anyone with interest in this can contact me at secretary@manchestercicada.org.uk

You can actually see me at this link.....http://www.manchestercicada.org.uk/repo.htm scroll down to Cicada Christmas Lunch 2009 and I am the bonny guy holding a glass of wine. :) The guy next to me is a Manc from Oldham. You'd notice how they love their food up this way. :) On the day I was giving him - and others - updated footie scores with my basic WaP phone. :)

harry_rag

Post by harry_rag » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:46 pm

Flicking through the "info" bar I spotted this on BBC2 next and thought "great, a new sitcom about betting".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00llg8k

Unfortunately not though! :)

Supposed to be funny but not one that appeals to me as the end to a reasonably pleasant day off.

Jockathan

Post by Jockathan » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:30 pm

ESPN are running and re-running 'The Two Escobars'. It's on after the Man City game tonight, but also late Monday night.

This is a documentary film about Pablo Escobar (the drug baron) and Andrés Escobar (the footballer murdered for scoring an own gol against the US). Very different people, but whose lives were interlinked.

Jockathan

Post by Jockathan » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:59 pm

Everyone else have a fancy for Dr. Alice Robertson 'Coast'? A most charming, attractive and brainy lass. :)

Jockathan

Post by Jockathan » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:18 pm

A good flick on the BBC4 now...

Should be on BBC Iplayer later..

'The Silence of Lorna'.

Basically "Sokol and Lorna, two Albanian emigrants in Belgium, dream of leaving their dreary jobs to set up a snack bar. They need money, and a permanent resident status. Claudy is a junkie - he needs money to satisfy his addiction. Andrei, the cigarette smuggler, must hold up for a while outside Russia; he has loads of money. Fabio, the Italian taxi driver and aspiring gang boss, elaborates a clever scheme: he will pay Claudy to marry Lorna so that she acquires a Belgian citizenship. Then she is to re-marry Andrei, who will in this way obtain the coveted EU passport - and pay a hefty price to Fabio and Lorna for the service. Like all plans, this one will not survive the contact with reality."

I missed this when it was at the 'Cornerhouse' in Manchester.

Good stuff.

jim

Post by jim » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:19 pm

Sounds, erm, interesting Jock!

A bit too intellectual for me though, I've been watching the umpteenth re-run of Blazing Saddles, my idea of a truly great film :thumbs

Jockathan

Post by Jockathan » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:56 pm

Not intellectual as such to my mind Jimbo - although not possibly a film for UKIP voters :) . A story about people trying to make the best of it.

Ken Loach could knock out a UK version no bother.

That said this is a good film though, which won the 'Best Screenplay Award' in Cannes in 2008.

I always rate Cannes over the Oscars personally.

Jockathan

Post by Jockathan » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:25 pm

The Iplayer link for those that care http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... _of_Lorna/

Jockathan

Post by Jockathan » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:40 pm

I say it's "Not intellectual as such", but it is certainly thought provoking. Issues such how people use each other for personal gain etc..

It won't be everybody's cup of tea, but it's mine. I'm a big fan of what we call 'Art House Cinema' or 'World Cinema'.

Jockathan

Post by Jockathan » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:13 am

A taping job for you guys with 'proper' jobs:

On Film Four....

00:10 am Couscous

Premiere. A shipbuilder dreams of opening his own fish restaurant. When he is made redundant, it seems like the end of his plans, but when he happens upon an abandoned boat, he sees an opportunity to fix it up and turn it into a restaurant, with the aid of his extended family. Drama, starring Habib Boufares and Hafsia HerziFilm/General Movie/Drama

Jockathan

Post by Jockathan » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:10 pm

A good BBC flick at 00:20 BBC 2: The Pumpkin Eater

Tense drama about a mother who suffers a nervous breakdown after her husband's infidelity.

Anne Bancroft stars.

Jack

Post by Jack » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:42 am

Col wrote:The Damned United coming on now on BBC 2
;) I'm a Leeds fan '#

Jockathan

Post by Jockathan » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:29 pm

Last night in this case....

I've been having some good laughs with 'Whites' :)

The first two shows are here http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... Episode_1/

Four remain. On Tuesday evenings.

Jockathan

Post by Jockathan » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:15 pm

Spook (9pm Beeb 1) - I like this. Opinions?

Little else do I look forward to watching in all honestly.

'Whites' was amusing (to me) - possibly more so from a Chef's perspective?

jim

Post by jim » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:22 pm

Whites was OK but I find Alan Davies a bit too smug.

Spooks is fantastic, I love it.

Watch out for a comedian called Simon Evans, very funny. Totally different from the usual Leftie luvvies like Russell Howard and genuinely funny.

Hopefully the delectable Julia Hartley-Brewer will be on this series of HIGNFY.

Jockathan

Post by Jockathan » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:25 pm

Cheers Jimbo - I'm a good humoured 'Lefty' so I may watch you suggestions (if have time). :thumbs

Jockathan

Post by Jockathan » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:51 pm

Apologies guys - 'Life is Sweet' is on Film Four now. Hopefully you already watching or it will be repeated.

Bitter sweet stuff from North Wembley 1990.

Jockathan

Post by Jockathan » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:45 am

A good flick that. :) A Mike Leigh (Salford lad) number.

jim

Post by jim » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:46 am

North Wembley?

I was born and raised near there, never seen the film though

Jockathan

Post by Jockathan » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:53 pm

Jimbo:

The film kicked off a 'Film 4' special this week on Mike Leigh.

There's another good one in 'Secrets and Lies' tonight (10:50pm). Story line: A successful black woman traces her birth mother to a lower-class white woman, who denies it; emotions run high as everyone's secrets are exposed.

I appreciate your interest in 'Life is Sweet'. I was thinking of you during the film actually as there is a young bloke 'servicing' one of the daughters. :) There's a funny scene in the bar too where two Spuds are agreeing that Arsenal winning the Double was the day football died :)

'Film 4' do rerun these films over time, but I don't know when 'Life is Sweet' will come back. The 'Film 4' site used to be able to tell you how often a film was on if you searched for the film. Apparently not any more.

I just searched 'Blockbusters' and they have 'Secrets And Lies / Life Is Sweet' as one rental DVD. You can also get 'Life is Sweet' on it's own. That might be your best bet, but as the film is based in your very general geographical area it might be more readily available down there.

Jockathan

Post by Jockathan » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:54 pm

Mike Leigh has just been on the local news plugging his new film 'Another Year'.

'The Cornerhouse' in Manchester starts screening this Friday http://www.cornerhouse.org/film/info.as ... 313&page=0

Jockathan

Post by Jockathan » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:43 pm

I've got GR's 'Best Restaurant' on (it will be on 4oD later). Two wonderfully inspired Spanish places in London that I would check out 'Fino' and 'El Pirata Detapas'. They are both having some problems with the 'secret guest', but they both do some really good looking food.