Site Admin

The Return Of The Friday Recipe

Post by Col » Sun May 09, 2010 2:50 pm

This week I'll mostly be preparing

Spiced Lamb Casserole :)

Jockathan

Re: The Return Of The Friday Recipe

Post by Jockathan » Mon May 10, 2010 5:26 pm

I've been watching 'Great British Menu' (BBC 2) and a number of the chefs are using hogget - one year old Lamb - which they feel has a better flavour than younger lamb, but not as strong as mutton.

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Thu May 13, 2010 6:53 pm

Here's what we need

Serves 4-6

1 tsp Cumin
1 tsp Chinese Five Spice
1 tbsp Flour
2 tbsp Oil
1 Onion (chopped)
2 Leeks (sliced)
2 sprigs Rosemary
250ml hot Lamb Stock
Salt and Pepper

Jockathan

Post by Jockathan » Fri May 14, 2010 6:00 pm

No Lamb, just stock? :)

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Fri May 14, 2010 6:25 pm

Forgot the Lamb :lol

About 500g of Diced Lamb

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Fri May 14, 2010 6:36 pm

Put the Lamb in a large plastic bag with the cumin and five spice and shake until the Lamb is coated and leave overnight to infuse.

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Sat May 15, 2010 6:25 pm

Add the flour and shake until the Lamb is again coated.
In a large casserole dish heat 1 tbsp oil and, in batches, brown the meat all over and remove.

In the same dish add another tablespoon of oil and gently fry the onion and leek until soft before returning the Lamb.

Add the rosemary and stock, bring to the boil, season and cover.
Place in a preheated oven, at 170ºC/325ºF/Gas 3, for about an hour, taste and adjust seasoning accordingly.

Serve with Boiled Rice :)

Jockathan

Post by Jockathan » Sun May 16, 2010 12:24 pm

That's an interesting dish to me in some regards - the marriage of Cumin, Five spice powder and Rosemary. Each are quite assertive. I was thinking about the use of cumin particularly in 'Chinese' cooking - I've seen it around before in 'Chinese' cooking, but my memory was failing me. Google reminded me that it appears in some northern Chinese/Mongolian dishes.

The other aspect I like about this dish is that it is suitable to 'slow cooker' use (Summer comes and goes here in the UK no?)

I would add sautéed spring greens and mushrooms on the side with some garlic and ginger and a few wee green chillies tossed in.

I presume you have eaten this Col? How was it for you? Do you feel a wee Soy sauce in the pot helps?

I'm keen to try this. Cheers.

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Sun May 16, 2010 1:58 pm

I have tried it Jock, and very tasty it was.

However if truth be told I very rarely stick to recipes.
I just taste as I go. :)

Jockathan

Post by Jockathan » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:21 am

Anyone for a spot of Bobotie before England kick off with Algeria?

If so first dig a pit in the garden for the hot charcoals.....and now over to this chap who does it exceedingly well

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:27 pm

First time I've watched that jock

Man after my own heart, a massive barbecue as well :)

Jockathan

Post by Jockathan » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:01 pm

Take it to the sand dunes near you in Cowdie Col. :)

The art of cooking in pits is African and the concept was taken (I dare say by slavery) to Massachusetts, US.

This a seven minute video of a 'Clam Bake'... Being in Scotland as you are you have access to some wonderful fresh seafood.

To my mind three things pull us together on Earth....food, music and football. :)

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:36 pm

Oxtail with Guinness

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:29 pm

Here's what we need

Serves 6

4tbsp Olive Oil
2 kg Oxtail
75g Seasoned Flour
4 Celery stalks (cut into 2.5cm lengths)
2 Onions (chopped)
2 Carrots (thickly sliced)
440ml Guinness or other stout or dark beer
2 x 375g Tinned Tomatoes
2 Bay Leaves
6 cloves of Garlic (unpeeled)
Fine Sea Salt and freshly milled Black Pepper

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:27 pm

On the hob heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large heavy flameproof casserole. Toss the oxtail pieces in the seasoned flour and fry until golden, cooking in batches. Remove and place on the side. Heat the remaining oil in the same casserole, add the celery, onion and carrots and cook until they begin to soften slightly. Pour on the beer and allow to bubble through, scraping the base of the pan to deglaze. Reserve this vegetable and beer mixture.

Pour yourself a beer

Wipe out the casserole with kitchen paper and layer the oxtail, vegetable and beer mixture, tomatoes, bay leaves and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. If necessary top up with water to cover all the meat.

Bring to a gentle simmer on the hob and cook slowly for 3-3½ hours until the meat comes away from the bones. Alternatively cook for the same time in preheated oven at 140ºC/275ºF/Gas 1

Have another beer

Serve with Mashed Potato :)

scottbhoy

Post by scottbhoy » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:44 pm

Treating wife and kids to a Sunday roast today (did not want to start a new thread for recipe)

My lamb roast firstly I have bought a leg of lamb on the bone the one I have bought is 1.08Kg or 2.3lbs for a bigger family then a 4lb leg of lamb would be needed roughly about £13 to £18 from a good butcher.

Preperation

I am making a garlic and parsley butter sauce to go with my leg of lamb.

Pre heat oven to 200C/400F

Put a 20g's butter into a bowl and add 2 to 3 peeled garlic cloves and then add your finely chopped parsley.

Use a fork to grind down the garlic and make the butter into a paste.

Cut into your leg of lamb not to deep just enough to break the surface and do this about 20 to 30 times all over your leg of lamb.

Now rub your paste that you have over your lamb making sure you rub deep enough for it to fill the pre cuts you have made on your lamb.

Put your leg of lamb into a roasting tin and cook usually 30mins for every 450g and a extra 30mins on top of that so for my leg of lamb will take approx 1 hour 45 mins.

You can layer your roasting tin with onion , carrot , pepper and salt which will all be absorbed by your meat while cooking.

I am making small boiled potatoes with this and gravy I shall use the onion from the roasting tin to add a taste to my gravy.

If cooking this here is what you will need.

1 leg of lamb on the bone 2.5lbs to 4lbs (1.08kg to 1.9kg)
3 cloves of garlic
1 parsley
20g of butter
1 onion
2 carrots

Depending on how you want your lamb then cooking times vary.

Cook for about 40mins covered in roasting tin then about 30 mins uncovered and check meat untill happy.Leave to sit for 10-15 mins before carving.

Sit back with a beer and enjoy.

Cheers

Scott.
Scottish Football is my bread and Butter.

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:52 pm

Nice one Scott :)
You can't beat a nice Leg of Lamb.

I'll be trying that sauce.

Jockathan

Post by Jockathan » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:24 am

With Col's link to a butcher in mind I thought you all would be interested in this Daube Provençale (Beef Stew the Provençale way). It comes from one of the major players in the world of food - Joël Robuchon.

It's the real thing and a labour of love... I particularly endorse the use of beef cheeks if you can get them. I also like the lamb variation. Enjoy.

Daube Provençale

Serves 6
Preparation: 30 minutes (marinade) plus 30 minutes
Cooking: 4 hours

The marinade should be prepared at least 4 hours in advance, the day before if possible.

At one time, this traditional beef stew would have simmered for hours in the corner of a Provençale hearth or stove. This version uses cubed beef for braising; the cheek is the best part for this purpose.

In Provence they also make a daube from the Camargue bull, using the same proportions, and from lamb shoulder or neck chopped into 50g morsels. The recipe is very much the same, but with lamb one uses dry white wine instead of red, and lemon zest instead of orange, does not lard the meat, and does not use the pork rind or dried orange zest. Lamb daube spends less time in the oven: 3 hours should be enough.

Like most stews, this daube improves with time and is better reheated or even cold. If you plan to serve it cold, you might add a chopped up veal foot to the pan when you add the stew meat, which will encourage a jelly-like consistency.

20 stems flat leaf parsley, leaves only, finely chopped
7 cloves garlic, one peeled and degermed (Jock: the central sprout removed) and finely chopped, the other 6 peeled
100g lardons
1.5kg beef stew meat (cheeks if possible, or shoulder or chuck), cut into 5 cm cubes
1 bottle robust red wine (cotes du rhone or syrah)
50ml cognac
3 whole cloves
9 tablespoons olive oil
1 bouquet garni (5 stems parsley, 2 sprigs fresh thyme, 1 bay leaf, 2 small celery branches, 2 pieces dried orange rind, and 1 sprig fresh sage, wrapped and tied in a green leek leaf)
2 teaspoons black peppercorns
250g fresh pork rind
800g new carrots, peeled and sliced into thin rounds (less than 0.5 cm thick)
1 heart of celery, washed and sliced into thin rounds (less than 0.5 cm) thick)
Grated nutmeg
500g small tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and diced (Jock:fresh guys no puree)
200g small new onions, peeled
Zest of 1 organic orange, free of bitter white pith, chopped into 2 cm x 1 cm slivers
100g black olives, niçoise if possible
200ml beef broth, home made or from a bouillon cube (Jock: or those Knorr 'stock pots')
500g flour
Salt and pepper

The night before, mix the finely chopped parsley and finely chopped garlic. Roll the lardons in this mixture. Use the tip of a knife to make an incision in each cube of stew meat and slip lardons into these little pockets. Put the stuffed cubes into a terrine or large bowl with the wine, cognac, cloves, and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the bouquet garni, peppercorns, and the rest of the garlic. Mix, cover, and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours but preferably overnight, stirring 2 or 3 times.

The next day, put the pork rind in a saucepan with 1 litre of water. Bring to a boil and let the water bubble for 2 minutes. Use a skimmer or slotted spoon to remove the pork to a colander and rinse it under cold water. Let it drain in the colander, then line the bottom of your stew pot with the blanched pork rind. (The pot should be large enough to hold all the rest of the ingredients, too; a daubière or clay casserole would be ideal, but lacking those you could use a cast-iron casserole or other heavy pan) (Jock: Slow cooker too).

Drain the beef cubes in a colander set over a bowl; do not discard the marinade. Carefully pat the cubes dry with paper towels. Heat the remaining tablespoons of olive oil in a large pan over a high heat. When the oil is hot, add the stew meat and brown all over, about 5 minutes. Remove the meat to a dish with the skimmer.

In the same pan, saute the carrots and celery over a medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Season with 2 teaspoons of salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper and stir in 2 pinches of grated nutmeg.

Preheat the oven to 250F/120C/gas 1/2. Build the daube layer by layer in the pan lined with pork rind. First put down a layer of meat, then tomato, then carrots, celery, baby onions, orange zest, and olives. Pour the reserved marinade and beef broth over the whole thing; if the vegetables are not completely covered, top off with water. Taste the liquid and season if necessary, but be careful: the dish will cook for 4 hours, the salt will concentrate, and you will not be able to add water while the pan is sealed.

Prepare the sealing pastry (Jock:...but not if you are using a slow cooker :) ): combine the flour with 200 ml of water in a small bowl, mixing until it forms a dough. Roll it out with your hands into a long 'snake' of dough. Put the cover on the pan of daube and seal the lid to the pan by pressing the dough all around their seam and joining it at the ends.

Bake for 4 hours. Remove the pan from the oven, remove the sealing pastry in front of your guests, and then take the pan back to the kitchen to degrease the surface of the broth. Remove the bouquet garni and, if you can find them, the whole cloves. Serve very hot.

Jockathan

Post by Jockathan » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:31 pm

The way I would work this if I had Saturday nights off is: Good Sunday breakfast, pop the bets on, into the kitchen, open a bottle of wine and crack away. You should be eating between the end of the 4pm EPL game and the start of the 7pm Liga game. :)

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:44 pm

Looks very tasty Jock :thumbs

Jockathan

Post by Jockathan » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:44 pm

John Keats referred to Autumn as

"Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness,
Close bosom-friend of the maturing sun;...."

We're approaching a fabulous time to cook. Not only that, but the warmth from my Kitchen heats my main room sending alluring whiffs all about - also saving me gas money to be used instead on lovely Cabernet Sauvignons. ;)

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:42 pm

Anyone fancy this week :)

theborrower

Post by theborrower » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:02 pm

Col wrote:Anyone fancy this week :)

i will if you like

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:37 pm

Go for it mate :)

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:02 pm

Did you forget about this tb :)

theborrower

Post by theborrower » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:04 pm

Col wrote:Did you forget about this tb :)

no i didnt not until 5 minutes ago.I will do a belated 1 tomorrow :thumbs

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:10 pm

No worries mate :)
You can put one up anytime you like :thumbs

theborrower

Post by theborrower » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:45 pm

Lasagne

Make this probably once every 2 weeks tastes nice and is freezable

Ingredients:

1 Table spoon oregano
3 slices streaky bacon
1 large carrot
3 celery sticks
2 large english onions
4 cloves of garlic
Small punnet of button mushrooms
600g of beef mince off the counter(less fat)
2 tins chopped tomatoes
Fresh basil
50g pamesan cheese
1 500g tub of creme fraiche (sainsburys)
1 beef tomato
1 box of lasagne sheets

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Preparation

Chop finely celery,carrots,onion,mushrooms,garlic and Basil stalks

step 1

add 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil to a medium to high heat,add oregano and chopped streaky bacon.Cook till bacon is crispy

add celery,carrots,onion,mushrooms,garlic and Basil stalks and cook for 7 -10 minutes stirring every now and then.(add more oil if you think it needs it) add the mince until the pinkness has gone.(Ive found if you brown the mince off it has a rubbery texture)add both tins of chopped tomatoes,bring to the boil then turn down to simmer adding salt and pepper,stir again before covering with a lid.Simmer for 45 mins stirring occasionally

step 2

i use a non stick pyrex dish for this 500X200 approx

Add the bolognese sauce as the first layer about 1/2-1" thick evenly sprinkle on the parmasen sparingly(dont add to the sauce in the pan as you will get a sticky mess and struggle with the washing up ;) ) next place the lasagne sheets on top and dont worry if they overlap
next the fromage fraiche remember put plenty on -half the tub,spread evenly then sprinkle again with parmesan
Place another layer of sheets and then the last of the bolognese sauce,parmasen again then the last of the lasagne sheets
Top layer is your fromage fraiche .Cut the beef tomato (6 slices) place on top ,pick your basil leaves and place them in the fromage on top ,salt and pepper and drizzle in olive oil
Cover with foil and place in the oven 190 /gas mark 5 for 20 minutes then remove the foil and cook for a further 35 minutes

you will get 6-8 portions from this ,may think its costly but as ive said is freezable and and perfect :cheers

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:07 pm

And very tasty it looks Sir :)

I especially like the way you think of the missus doing the washing up ;-)

jim

Post by jim » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:13 am

I did an Irish Stew Broth thing from Gary Rhodes 'Simple' book last night, really nice it was too. I'll put that up on Friday if you want me to Col.