Health Warning

Talk about anything and everything
Col
Site Admin

Re: Health Warning

Post by Col » Sat May 04, 2019 11:22 am

Working about in the garden last weekend, and at night developed some what looked like insect bites on my chest.
Went into the chemist on Monday and asked for a consultation, she came and had a look and confirmed them as insect bites, and gave me some cream.

Got up yesterday and they were worse than ever, couldn't get an appointment with the doctor until next week. This morning I decided to visit another chemist for a consultation
She took one look, and said "that's shingles"

Luckily they haven't caused me any pain or discomfort, and it seems to be at the healing stage.
Some calamine lotion should see me through.

Totally Wired

Post by Totally Wired » Sun May 05, 2019 8:36 pm

I had shingles about 5 years ago.... kept getting an itch on my gut for a month or so , but when i scratched it i couldnt feel it , it was numb, really weird feeling,, mrs noticed a small rash on my side.. went docs who said.. you have shingles but you are thru the worse... It soon cleared up.. the only symptoms i think i had was the itch... very strange .
The Revolution starts at closing time

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:57 pm

Anyone jogging?
I take the dogs out for a long walk every morning, but I feel I can go for a jog around the park before breakfast.
Just a gentle jog around the park, then build it up each day.

Any advice appreciated.

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:39 am

Well that was easier than I thought :)

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:10 pm

Anyone have any problems with the flu jab?
I've been having it since 2009 due to other medical conditions.

I've never had the flu since I started having it, and can't say I've even had a heavy cold.
Yet I hear from people all the time that they are going to stop having it as they feel unwell after getting the jab.

nick

Post by nick » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:59 am

I've had the flu jab for the last 5 or 6 years usually at Boots or Co-op where you can just go and get it without appointment. Never had flu either, Col, and never had any side effects whatsoever. Also the jab itself is hardly noticeable so needle-phobics should not be concerned.

For the first time I had the jab at the GP's this year along with wifey, as it's free for the first time due to my advancing years. They also offered me a pneumonia jab at the same time, so I had an injection in each arm. Again no after effects at all - just a slight heaviness in the "pneumonia arm" for 48 hours.

I'd recommend anyone to have the flu jab unless you have some underlying medical condition, which is carefully explained and gone through by the pharmacists at Boots etc. if you chose to go that route rather than your own doctor (will only be a nurse there anyway).

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:31 am

:thumbs

I also get the pneumococcal vaccine as a booster every five years Nick, that's due to a splenectomy that I had when I was younger. I'm thinking if you are otherwise healthy and get the Pneumonia Shot when you are over 65 then you only need to get it the once.

harry_rag

Post by harry_rag » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:15 pm

I'm still denying the passage of time and the inevitable onset of mortality but my Mum has both of those jabs and her experience seems to be the same as yours, i.e. no issues and no flu etc. (maybe the occasional mild cold).

Janthefish

Post by Janthefish » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:29 pm

I had the pneumonia jab and my arm was swollen for 3 weeks, the day before I said was going back to get advice it started getting better. Had the flu jab 2 years ago and had more colds/flu that winter than I've ever had. My niece is a Doctor so I've asked her advice.

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:42 pm

What has she said Jan.

Janthefish

Post by Janthefish » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:43 pm

She recommended that I have one so will have to take her advice.