Check your bets?

harry_rag

Check your bets?

Post by harry_rag » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:00 pm

Do you? By which I mean, do you regularly check the bet settlement on your accounts to see if your winners have been settled correctly?

I've been having a bit of a catch up and found 2 winning bets settled as losers with different firms, both on Rugby Union, one a tryscorer and one a card being shown.

Not particularly contentious or difficult bets to settle (I've seen plenty of evidence of people getting into arguments over number of player offsides and shots on targets during the World Cup but that's not too surprising with those types of bet).

The first was adjusted with no quibbles and the second will probably be as well, but it goes to show that you need to keep a close eye on these things.

Col
Site Admin

Re: Check your bets?

Post by Col » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:17 pm

Good point harry

I very rarely check my accounts after a bet. If it's a winner, I just expect the money to be in the account the next time I go to use it. Of course it could be months before I use that bookmaker again, because it's best price on the bet I want to place. and if there was no money in the account, would I remember. ?

But on the other hand, I do often go into accounts where I'm surprised that there is money there :)

peanut

Post by peanut » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:17 am

I check my account after every winner no matter what, not because I don't trust them but I wish to know the exact amount before I fill in my spreadsheet.

I am the same with banks, if there is a penny discrepancy I hound it down until I know where it is, on a regular basis.

Just the way I am. :)

nick

Post by nick » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:43 am

I don't know why people leave money in bookmakers' accounts. Apart from leaving £20 or so, I withdraw any balance every day.

Anyone remember the spread firm Sporting Options (I think that was the name) a few years ago? Went tits up overnight and many folk lost thousands.

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:16 am

I'll leave up to a few hundred in an account but not thousands.

Once a week I check that the total in the accounts I use matches what my spreadsheet says it should do. If they are out I then go through bet by bet to see where the difference is (usually me having forgotten to record a bet).

russ

Post by russ » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:59 pm

I'm with Peanut in making sure my spreadsheet is always accurate down to the last penny.

Do most of my MLB betting with Bet365 who often give 1p more than my spreadsheet tells me they should (which is nice!) for a winner and occasionally find a bet has been voided due to a pitching change, so need to check that before doing the days MLB plays to keep the RFSP accurate.

harry_rag

Post by harry_rag » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:18 pm

Cheers guys, I'm similar to Matt in terms of the balance I leave but must admit I leave it a bit too long between checks. Will try and keep on top of that a bit more.

I read somewhere that, when it comes to the best way to operate your accounts, withdrawing too often or infrequently can be a negative. Not sure why, maybe too often makes it look like you're arbing and need the funds to cover the losses elsewhere and too infrequently makes it look like you're a pro! {8