Sportingbet

nick

Sportingbet

Post by nick » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:16 pm

I wanted to deposit some money into Sportingbet this afternoon, as I had spotted a 5/1 shot that I reckoned to be good value. I half-expected not to be allowed to get much on, but I certainly didn't expect to be charged a fee for depositing money with them.

It was only £1 but would have been the equivalent of 5% of the small sum I wanted to bet. As a matter of principle I didn't bother.

I have e-mailed them to question this apparent change of policy. No response yet after a couple of hours or so. Has anyone else come across this yet and what do you think?

harry_rag

Re: Sportingbet

Post by harry_rag » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:53 pm

How were you trying to deposit it Nick? I wouldn't expect to be charged for using a debit card but anything else, including a credit card, might well incur a charge.

peanut

Post by peanut » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:05 pm

I have long kicked Sportingbet into touch, restrictions and all that. 8]

A poor bookies by any standards, so no surprise if they did try and charge.

Be interesting what you find out 8]

nick

Post by nick » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:10 pm

It was my usual debit card, Harry, which I have had registered with them for months and which I have actually used two or three times without any fee.

It wouldn't be such a niggle for me, if they didn't limit stakes so much as a rule.

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:54 pm

Let us know if you hear from them nick.

A long time ago, I had something like £25.88 in my account and decided to withdraw it, they would only let me take out the £25, told me I could only withdraw whole amounts.

Never used them since.

harry_rag

Post by harry_rag » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:14 pm

Just been in the FAQs:

Can I make a deposit without being charged?
No. All deposit options incur a fee. Part of the transaction costs, previously absorbed, will now be passed on to the Customer.

Thin end of the wedge perhaps? Don't think I'll be depositing with them again once I'm out of funds.

Let's keep any eye out for any other firms following suit on that one.

muske

Post by muske » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:37 pm

Yep, looks like all deposits now £1

You need to call them to withdraw the pence Col, which I have just done with my account.

They offered me the close option, which I took and informed me many customers complaining and doing the same.

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:17 pm

I long stopped using them, it was impossible to get a decent amount on. I've certainly got no interest in paying a fee to deposit.

nick

Post by nick » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:48 am

Well, I haven't even had the courtesy of a reply, although I have now checked the FAQ's as Harry has done. I seldom bothered with them anyway but I'll totally dismiss them from now on. Strange way to run a business, though.

Jockathan

Post by Jockathan » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:49 am

Not unlike buying a concert seat with a card then....or even a plane ticket with Ryanair!

Jockathan

Post by Jockathan » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:03 am

I just closed my account with them via their live chat. I used to get £50 on no bother with my Grand Slam Tennis bets back in BB days. Apparently things have changed there.

harry_rag

Post by harry_rag » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:54 pm

nick wrote:Well, I haven't even had the courtesy of a reply, although I have now checked the FAQ's as Harry has done. I seldom bothered with them anyway but I'll totally dismiss them from now on. Strange way to run a business, though.
Stop press... charge now only applies to deposits under £250.

Was thinking of depositing with them despite the charge as they are often best price on the rugby and are willing to accept my stakes on that (unlike most of my footy bets) when I spotted that. Probably would have deposited a bit less but, given the rate I'm losing at currently, have decided to deposit £250 and avoid the charge. :)