Proof of ID

billybetred

Proof of ID

Post by billybetred » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:47 pm

Had email from Paddy Power saying I need to provide proof of ID by May 7th.
Not had requests off other bookies.
Have had account with Paddy as long as I can remember . Why do they need proof of ID now ?

nick

Re: Proof of ID

Post by nick » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:34 pm

It's all those bets on obscure Japanese golfers, Billy. They must reckon you're really some bigwig from Tokyo with a yen ;-) for laundering money.

Totally Wired

Post by Totally Wired » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:57 pm

me too ... ive not bothered so far
The Revolution starts at closing time

harry_rag

Post by harry_rag » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:10 am

Might be the regulator seeking evidence that firms are on top of their KYC (Know your customer) procedures. I’ve had a few ask me to check and confirm my details are correct of late. Maybe Paddy are asking some customers to provide ID proof as part of that.

I’ve had to do it a few times over the years. It’s a bit less painful now it doesn’t involve a fax machine!

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:24 am

When I opened an account with IC Markets, I didn't have to upload any documents, it was all available and verified online, such as electoral role, passport, driving licence etc.
Surely all bookies should be able to do the same.

harry_rag

Post by harry_rag » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:31 am

Col wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:24 am
When I opened an account with IC Markets, I didn't have to upload any documents, it was all available and verified online, such as electoral role, passport, driving licence etc.
Surely all bookies should be able to do the same.
It's the same with most financial institutions now (savings, investments and pensions etc.). It's usually possible to do it all online but they reserve the right to ask you for proof of ID. You'll probably need to do it if accessing a large pension because of the amount involved. I got asked for it when opening an ISA with Virgin Money which surprised me slightly. Just because you didn't get asked when opening doesn't mean you won't get asked in the future, e.g. if they check a sample of accounts at random or if you made a large withdrawal/deposit.

The checks that can be done online prove that you exist but they don't conclusively prove that the person opening the account is you. Could be someone who knows all your details and is opening the account for fraudulent or money laundering purposes.

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:12 pm

I'd just finished posting on here, and I got an email from Hills looking for age verification. {8

nick

Post by nick » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:41 pm

I actually did a live chat with Paddys and said I didn't have any photo ID so queried how I could demonstrate proof of ID satisfactorily. The almost instant reply came back that my account was fine and they didn't need to verify further {8 .

Worth trying this approach generally perhaps ;-) .

harry_rag

Post by harry_rag » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:55 pm

Perhaps simply because of how long you've held the account (e.g. over 18 years)?

I've had similar emails from Fred and Tote which may explain the background to this, "verify your account details before 7th May...a revised code of practice from the UK Gambling Commission means we need to verify your age and identity details are an exact match against your official documents in order for you to continue betting with us". Asks me to sign in and check address, name and date of birth are correct. I'm assuming my signing in and checking those details will suffice though not been able to do that with the Tote as it asks for the answer to my security question and I have no idea what the question or answer was! {8

Hopefully my signing in to the account via the link in the email will be adequate, otherwise I'm going to have to ring them.

billybetred

Post by billybetred » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:18 pm

Nick .. Will follow your example and contact Paddy P by phone. Dont want to upload passport details .
All other bookies no problem ,just had to open account details and verify address etc.

nick

Post by nick » Wed May 08, 2019 10:22 am

I am blocked by Ladbrokes as of today. I genuinely do not have any photo ID, nor do I have a colour photocopier or scanner to send documents electronically.

After half an hour of highly irritating "chat" in which they did not seem to believe that old codgers do not have the modern techno stuff, I was eventually told to take original utility bills to my nearest Ladbrokes shop. That means a trip to Worcester trying to locate their shop. I won't make a special journey, that's for sure.

This is another example of nanny-state Government legislation served by pettifogging officials with nothing better to do than cause bureaucratic waste. I have had an on-line account with Ladbrokes for at least 20 years with no bother or issues whatsoever. It is a complete nonsense that my age and ID have to be verified now. I despair of the mindless bureaucracy that besets this country. The more liberal, tolerant and right-on society becomes, the more totalitarian and Orwellian the outcome.

harry_rag

Post by harry_rag » Wed May 08, 2019 11:34 am

I had an email from them that just said the following, no request to verify thus far.

"As a result of changes to online gambling regulations we have made some updates to our terms and conditions which cover how we verify customers. From the 7th May we will be changing the way we do this, and a summary is in our updated age & identity verification policy here. If you already verified your account recently you don’t need to do anything. But if you did receive a message asking you to verify, you can find the instructions here."

This link gives a bit of context. https://help.ladbrokes.com/s/article/LB ... ion-Policy

We might be getting some benefit from our venerability, a younger chap of my acquaintance has been asked to send ID by Lads, Fred and Betway. He did get a £50 freebie off Lads for his trouble though, which would at least cover your petrol money!

nick

Post by nick » Wed May 08, 2019 12:02 pm

I have been "re-requested" by Paddy Power, despite initial assurances, and also asked to verify with Betfred. As I can hardly get a bean on with either company, I am simply not going to bother.

If I get the same issues with the last 3 or 4 firms where I can place a bet, then I shall have to cease gambling or stick to the spreads (until they get in on the act too).

harry_rag

Post by harry_rag » Wed May 08, 2019 12:33 pm

Unquestionably it's a ball ache. Does Fred want you to do anything beyond sign in and check all is correct? That's what I had to do.

I do have a printer that scans and copies now so that will be useful if needed (though I'd have to learn how to use those functions).

Hopefully be fine with the spread firms as they're FCA regulated which should mean the bar was already higher (I had a pop up message from SX that required me to confirm details were still correct).

I don't have photo ID either but usually find some combination of utility bills, tax notices and birth certificate will suffice. Also, in the absence of being able to scan a document you may find that taking a photo on a tablet or phone and emailing or uploading it may be acceptable. Worth asking if the account is worth preserving and it saves a trip to a shop.

Does look like we're at the mercy of how different firms are going ti apply this and what they will and won't accept. 8(:

nick

Post by nick » Wed May 08, 2019 12:48 pm

In order to comply (for the 3rd time!) with Racebets last year I did get my daughter to send a photo of the back and front of my debit card to them. That was not the same as ID proof etc. I haven't even bothered to see what Betfred actually requires because I virtually can't bet with them. The same goes for their sister totesport where I have only been offered stakes below 50 pence for a few months now. It's not worth the bother.

I do feel that firms have more discretion (certainly than Ladbrokes implied) under the recent law. Those who are being as awkward as possible are perhaps taking the opportunity to relieve themselves of accounts that they do not really want. Ladbrokes were asking for full sized colour copies with all the edges intact etc. Frankly some common sense would not go amiss. I'm afraid the private sector is now imbued with the traditional public sector mentality of "rules must be obeyed at all costs". There is no room for initiative or common sense. I'm an awkward sod and always rail against pointless stupidity and lack of basic intelligence.

Janthefish

Post by Janthefish » Wed May 08, 2019 7:57 pm

I use paypal, had to provide details to them but so far had no problems with bookmakers.

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Wed May 08, 2019 8:15 pm

That's interesting Jan
I've got one account that I use Paypal with, and I've not heard from them either.