Mayweather v McGregor

Greyhounds...Boxing...Darts...Snooker...Or Whatever
Col
Site Admin

Mayweather v McGregor

Post by Col » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:21 am

The fight of the decade is set for the 26th August (27th in the UK) at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. It sees Conor ‘Notorious’ McGregor crossing over from MMA to Boxing and taking on undefeated boxer Floyd ‘Money’ Mayweather.

If you believe the Mayweather McGregor odds then the fight should see Mayweather standing tall when the dust settles. But if McGregor has learned to only use his fists, this could be a very close fight. But what do the stats say? Check out our infographic on the Tale of the Tape to find out.
McGregor v Mayweather 2-100.jpg
McGregor v Mayweather 2-100.jpg (251.33 KiB) Viewed 1061 times

kenbo

Re: Mayweather v McGregor

Post by kenbo » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:09 pm

I'd never heard of Mcgregor before this fight was scheduled. He certainly looks the part.

If it was a 9pm fight then I'd pay to watch it. As it is, I'll give it a miss.

jarv

Post by jarv » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:54 pm

Greatest boxer of all time v an unexperienced never been in a boxing ring scrapper. Props mcgregor is good what he does in the oxtagon but the thing with floyd is youve got to land one on him and no body has so far! These were people at the top of there game too. Looks like a missmatch ive not looked at markets but the big hitters will be ploughing in at 1/4 and id expect them to collect confidently.

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:30 pm

I just can't quite get my head around it.

First thoughts are a mismatch, with one of the greatest boxers of all time. but on the other hand you have McGregor, supremely confident, can take any amount of punishment
There are no jabs that can hold him back. He will be non stop attack.

If you look at the Aldo fight which he wasn't expected to win, clean knockout in thirteen seconds.

Nothing tempting me in yet though.

The Linnet

Post by The Linnet » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:04 pm

Not a mismatch just a sideshow , joke of a match tbh

Someone who has never boxed in his life against the best defensive boxer in the world for the last , god knows how many years ,... as someone whose boxed and done martial arts (muay thai in the ring never mma) i can honestly say that boxing and mma are worlds apart .. none of the people McGregor has faced had 'proper' boxing skills per say its a totally different ball game , stances , angles everything ... people go on about how hard McGregor hits , he doesnt hit harder than Pacman , he doesnt hit harder than Hatton either ... neither bothered Mayweather , he's just too slick and if he's trained properly then the irishman aint gonna bother him either . Obviously theres the chance of a lucky punch but Mayweather has a chin on him as well. Its a shame Mayweather aint a big hitter as id love to see McGregor KOd just so she shuts up for 5 minutes !! Personally i aint a fan of Mayweather but any other result than a win for him would be a joke and a huge blow for boxing
Also I hate to see Rocky Marciano's record of 49-0 (which Mayweather has equalled) go in this fashion , should he win

Any true boxing fan should be looking forward to GGG v Canelo ... now that is a boxing match :thumbs

harry_rag

Post by harry_rag » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:56 pm

Almost bored with how long the hype's been going on for this, glad it's almost upon us. Read the RP preview and was talking about it with someone today. Have had a look at the specials to see if any look like they might be wrong (bringing my knowledge of football and rugby markets to bear on a sport I know nothing about)! {8

Either fighter to be docked a point at 5/2 with Hills (RP tip this just for McGregor at the same price)
McGregor to be knocked down in both the 1st 6 rounds and the last 6 rounds at 12/1 (RP tip >2.5 knockdowns at 4/1, gut feel that this isn't a bad price)
Exactly 1 knockdown at 9/4 with Betfred (spreads expect somewhere either side of 1.5 knockdowns and I can't make this any bigger than a 2/1 shot. I've seen none at 11/4 which might be a touch big but I'll just go with this as I think someone will hit the deck at some point.)

Anyone staying up to watch, feel free to keep an eye on those for me. ;-)

kenbo

Post by kenbo » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:23 am

Listening to all the 'experts' on the telly this morning, it sounds like FM should be a 1/20 shot.

I won't be having a bet on it, but I'd like to see CM win. That would really put the cat amongst the pigeons.

The Linnet

Post by The Linnet » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:28 pm

i dont like Mayweather but i hate CM more , i just wanna see the loudmouth twatted all round the ring

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:01 pm

Just a fiver interest bet

Mayweather v McGregor
To Be Knocked Down And Win
Floyd Mayweather 7/1

charliepie

Post by charliepie » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:27 am

McGreger for me but like the knockdown and win cover bet Col. I'm hoping he will be younger(obviously!), faster and stronger(he's certainly going to be heavier) & that Mayweather is a bit past his prime. Conor probably hits harder than any of his previous opponents but he will have to connect a few punches which given his speed should be a formality. I don't think the experts are giving the underdog enough respect but we will see come 5.30am:-)

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:14 am

I've not watched it yet, but woke up to the news that Mayweather stopped Conor McGregor in the tenth round.

The Linnet

Post by The Linnet » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:58 am

he got a boxing lesson after the first coupla rounds were over and mayweather had figured him out

why do people go on about conors power and speed ? he doesnt hit harder than hatton and alot of other of Mayweathers opponents , and as for hand speed pro boxers will beat him hands down , what a joke

charliepie

Post by charliepie » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:55 pm

It was a great start from Conor and if it had been a six round fight he would have won, I was surprised that he tired so easily in the later rounds as I would have thought he might have trained with stamina in mind. However, the referee did step in a tad early - it would have been better to have seen if May could have put him down on the canvas:-)
He's still a lot better boxer than Floyd would be at MMA!

The Linnet

Post by The Linnet » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:13 pm

If it was a 6 round fight mayweather wouldnt of pissed about , he toyed with him , then let him run of gas , he gave the 'fans' some value for money , the fight lasted as long as mayweather wanted it to