Greyhounds...Boxing...Darts...Snooker...Or Whatever
The Linnet

Golovkin v Alvarez

Post by The Linnet » Mon May 08, 2017 1:09 am

September 16th 8D !8D :thumbs

The Linnet

Re: Golovkin v Alvarez

Post by The Linnet » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:15 pm

Cant wait for this after the over hyped Mayweather/MacGregor fight ... If it lives up to expectations it's gonna be the fight of the year :)

Golovkin comes into this with a 37-0 record (33 by way of KO) and holds 3 of the 4 world titles at the moment , he has a 89.8% knockout percentage rate which is the highest in middleweight championship history and has never been knocked down or knocked out either as a professional or an amateur. And for me personally is probably one of the most under rated boxers around , as personally i think pound for pound he's the best in the world. Alvarez has a 49-1 record , with 34 coming by way of knockout and is a worthy opponent , both never impressed with me with their last fights tbh (in Canelo's case it was more the fact that his opponent Chavez Jr just didnt perform tbh) , Golovkin infact hasnt looked like his old self in his last two fights imo but he possesses such devastating power in either hand and he can deliver with such accuracy you could never write him off . Canelo can punch as well , no doubt , but not as hard as GGG . The way this goes depends on how Canelo fights , he is going to have to be clever if he's to beat Golovkin as he's not the most fleet of foot and if he's caught early on by a few then things could end quickly , however he does have good head movement which is a plus when you're fighting a big hitter and if he can rattle Golovkin and not allow him to get in to his stride then i think he has a major chance , especially if he can take him all the way as i just cant see Golovkin winning if this goes to the judges. Canelo is a good counter puncher but he tends to take a couple after he's countered and that could be dangerous when fighting someone who can hit as hard as Golovkin , he's never encountered someone who can hit as hard as GGG imo and if he's on the recieving end of a few head / body shots then i think its game over. Canelo also has stamina issues , and coming up in weight wont help his cause in all probability , Golovkin is a clever boxer , he cuts off the ring well and switches between body and head , uses his jab and distance well and can cause all sorts of problems for Canelo . Like i say i cant Canelo off , he's younger and as i said GGG hasnt impressed in his last two fights , but he would need to improve alot on what i've seen of him to beat Golovkin , for me i see Golovkin pressuring Canelo and wearing him down and then stopping him late on , 8th - 10th round .

But to be honest i just wanna see a classic fight :thumbs

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:26 pm

Cheers mate :thumbs
Should be a good one.

The Linnet

Post by The Linnet » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:34 pm

Hope so Col :thumbs

toptwo

Post by toptwo » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:36 pm

Linny :cheers

harry_rag

Post by harry_rag » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:48 pm

Hills were going evens (from2/5) for either fighter to be knocked down. Not sure if still available (or that great a proposition). I've had the £20 allowed.

toptwo

Post by toptwo » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:06 pm

What a sorry state of affairs, Laddies offer bet a tenner get 2x5 bets - deposited a tenner and decided on GGG in round 10 a 20/1 poke and they would only let me have £2.50 on. What's the point of the offer if they won't let you have it! Do one jokers... withdrew the tenner... fooking shocking! 25's at Hills anyway

Col
Site Admin

Post by Col » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:17 pm

They are a joke mate. x-)
Quite happy to draw you in and take your money, but not take a bet.

toptwo

Post by toptwo » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:36 pm

They're on a wind up I'm not falling for it mate, they think once you've deposited you'll just bang it on anyway at 4/6 just to get the two free fivers 8(:

I've been accommodated by Hills at 25's no probs :thumbs

The Linnet

Post by The Linnet » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:57 am

Did say Golovkin wouldnt win if it went to the judges , no way was that a draw , and the judge who scored 118-110 in fabour of Alvarez should be binned

toptwo

Post by toptwo » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:14 am

Was you suggesting skulduggery was a given if it went the distance?

Excellent write up btw :thumbs

The Linnet

Post by The Linnet » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:21 am

Kinda , just couldnt see it be given to GGG if it went the distance mate :thumbs and 118-110 ?! what f*ckin fight was Byrd watching ?

Cant believe Golovkin didnt utilise his body shots more tbh , if he had then i think they wouldnt of gone the distance , was a good fight and Canelo fought well but i think Golovkin won , by 3-4 rounds imo

toptwo

Post by toptwo » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:33 am

:cheers mate, on the bbc sport website there's a picture of the official scorecard - he only gave Golovkin rounds 4 & 7 {8

The Linnet

Post by The Linnet » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:37 am

He's a she mate :thumbs

could explain alot lol

toptwo

Post by toptwo » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:39 am

:lol

charliepie

Post by charliepie » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:31 am

I watched the fight on youtube without knowing the result and after about 8 rounds was wishing I'd bet the draw as I couldn't separate them at that point.
118-110 was not right imo but it goes to show that we all see fights differently, I think she genuinely scored it that way as if it was a fix she would not have been so blatant about it so she must have seen the fight 10-2 to Canelo?! Bizarre indeed...
One thing we can all agree on is that Canelo did win the opening 2 rounds - that was quite clear.

The Linnet

Post by The Linnet » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:06 am

she has been 'rested'by the Nevada boxing authorities ... no way was that a correct scoring of the fight , absolutely clueless , i dunno about seeing things differently she was obviously watching a different fight .. that was the only thing that spoilt an other wise great fight and i look forward to a re match if theres going to be one

charliepie

Post by charliepie » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:32 pm

Absolutely, it seems she has a habit of seeing fights differently in the past - looking forward to the rematch too:-)

The Linnet

Post by The Linnet » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:36 pm

I remember she done it in the Hopkins and Calazaghe fight , she should be booted out i think

Been reading about rematches and it may not happen for a while , generally GGG likes to fight at least 3 times a year , that was his second fight this year , Alvarez says he wants a rematch next year ... Saunders says he wants to fight GGG , that shouldnt last long :)